Michael's Cookie Class - Is It Worth It?

Baking By mbt4955 Updated 12 May 2009 , 5:29pm by taygetta

mbt4955 Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 15

My Michael's is offering a 2-night cookie decorating class taught by the same woman who teaches the Wilton cake decorating classes. I had her four years ago when I took Wilton 1-3. I started Fondant & Gumpaste last night - I want to learn how to make carnations and figured it would be worth the $17.50. I have her again and she is good, but is obviously Wilton trained. I'm not saying that is a bad thing - I just haven't seen much individual creativity.

I haven't decorated cookies since my kids were small (Jennifer is 30 now), but I love what I see on CC and I would like to give them another try.

To those of you who have taken the class, is it worth my time and effort? I am a visual learner and it would help me to have someone show me what to do. I don't want to get into a class that is a waste of time.

Thanks,
Martha

14 replies
GeminiRJ Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 15

I think I would take the class, just because I'm cookie obsessed and would love the opportunity to see how someone else decorates cookies. The Michaels by me has nothing in the way of cookie decorating, so I can't say I've taken the class and could give you a yes or no on its quality. If it sounds like fun, go for it!

mbt4955 Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks, GeminiRJ. That was kind of my attitude with the fondant/gp class. icon_smile.gif

bonniebakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 15

I agree with Gemini - I think I'd take it too. I wish the Michael's near me offered one!

GeminiRJ Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 15

I signed up for a cookie decorating class a couple years ago (before stumbling across CC) and was so-o-o excited. I was very disappointed when they cancelled the class. I know a lot more about cookie decorating now than I did then, but I'd still love to take a class. I've even thought about offering to teach a class at Michael's, but I'm too much of a chicken. I guess I'm afraid the store manager would laugh at me.

bonniebakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I signed up for a cookie decorating class a couple years ago (before stumbling across CC) and was so-o-o excited. I was very disappointed when they cancelled the class. I know a lot more about cookie decorating now than I did then, but I'd still love to take a class. I've even thought about offering to teach a class at Michael's, but I'm too much of a chicken. I guess I'm afraid the store manager would laugh at me.

You've got to be kidding! Your cookie work is amazing! No one would laugh at you, they'd be in cookie awe!

cindy58 Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 15

I took a couple of cookie bouquet classes at a local cake decorating shop. One was a Valentine theme and the other was wedding. I liked the Wedding one the best because there were specific cookie designs that we worked on (cake, ring, bride and tux hearts). The best tips I picked up though, was seeing how she had set up for the group. I think it's fun to decorate as a group activity.

misabel99 Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 15

I took the class last saturday and it was a waste of time I didn't like it at all they don't teach you anything new, they just teach you how to put the fondant in the cookie and they talk about royal icing but they don't use in the class ( good think that I know already how to decorate cookies) but I took it because I though that they will teach something new thank God that I just paid $15.00

mbt4955 Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by misabel99

I took the class last saturday and it was a waste of time I didn't like it at all they don't teach you anything new, they just teach you how to put the fondant in the cookie and they talk about royal icing but they don't use in the class ( good think that I know already how to decorate cookies) but I took it because I though that they will teach something new thank God that I just paid $15.00

misabel99, was your class one session or two? The instructor told me that she uses royal icing in this class, so maybe this is something different. I asked her because I wasn't wanting another class about fondant. She said that we don't bring cookies to the first class (1 hr), but we bring them to the second class (2 hrs).

misabel99 Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 15

It was two session but the teacher did it in one session for 2 hours sincerely I didn't learn anything new and we worked only with fondant and buttercream. she mention royal icing but we didn't work with it.

cylstrial Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:18pm
post #11 of 15

I didn't even know that Michael's taught cookie decorating classes. That's pretty neat! I would definitely take one if they had one in our store.

Pebbles13 Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:54pm
post #12 of 15

Like the rest of you, I think it would be fun to see other peoples' techniques. I've learned almost everything from this site, but would love to see someone else in action icon_biggrin.gif I'm sure I would pick up a few more tips. Also, I wouldn't mind giving fondant a try since I've never attempted it. Sounds like fun icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Posted 8 May 2009 , 10:37pm
post #13 of 15

If you like the instructor, the class would probably be worth it.
Boy, if Lili (the Wilton class instructor here) would have a cookie class I'd sign up like a shot!
I'd like to sign up for the Wilton classes with her about once a year, but I think she'd feel I was stalking her! Image

cylstrial Posted 10 May 2009 , 11:22pm
post #14 of 15

So -- I read this thread and posted about how I didn't know that Michael's had cookie classes, and then the NEXT day I got an email from my dear Wilton instructor saying that she was going to be doing a cookie class this weekend. AND I couldn't go because my husband graduated from law school yesterday and both of our parents were in!

I hope she decides to have another class! I just thought it was funny!

taygetta Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:29pm
post #15 of 15

7yyrt I am a Wilton Instructor and wouldn't think a student was stalking me if they wanted to take the courses from me once a year. I'd consider it a compliment! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%