Stencils

Decorating By LadyG33 Updated 5 May 2009 , 5:17pm by bakingatthebeach

LadyG33 Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 6

Can you buy and use the stencils that are made for paint on cakes?
Or do you have to buy the special cake stencils?

5 replies
MLopardi Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 6

I'm going to the craft store today to get some (Hooray for 50% off coupons!) I have a cake due next Wed. that will have stenciling on it. I'll share my experience! As long as they are very flexible and the right height, I can't see why they wouldn't work.

Debluvs2bake Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 6

I've used craft stensils on cupcakes and cookies, worked well. Make sure you use brand new stensils and wash and sanitize prior to using.

goldenegg Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 6

you can also get blank stencil sheets (they're transparent and flimsy enough for a cake) and use an x-acto knife to carve out your own stencil design if you don't see any you like in the store, for example you can just print an image of a design you like from a google images search (or anywhere), trace it onto the blank stencil and cut it out. i was looking at stencils in walmart the other day and came across these blank ones so i got a pack of 2 & a x-acto knife, together prob cost about 3 or 4 bucks, haven't used em yet but i have em if i need em lol. icon_biggrin.gif

LadyG33 Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks ladies! I have a blank stencil sheet I may have to live on the edge and make my own stencil!!

bakingatthebeach Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 6

The hatbox on the suitcase in my pics was done using a cheap stencil I bought at Michaels. Worked fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%