A Few Dumb Newbie Questions.....please Help

Decorating By MrsNewBaker Updated 7 May 2009 , 4:45am by MLand

MrsNewBaker Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 15

i apologize if these are really dumb questions but i'm trying my hand at a new hobby so forgive me!!

- If I am making a round or sheet cake and want to place it in a box to deliver to work, etc... when i make the cake I place it on a cardboard round that is the same size or 1 size smaller than my cake? and do I place it on another board then decorate to put it in the box or how does this work?

- Is it better to use pipng gel or water to thin icing for writing?

- the leaf tip in the wilton kit 1 is absolutely horrible (either that or i am in the wrong hobby) is there another tip i can use for better results?

- after crumb coating do you refrigerate before doing the final coat, does that cause condensation issues?

- does anyone have issues with getting fibers in their icing when using viva paper towels?

I have sooooo many more questions but i'll stop for now lol thanks in advance for your responses

14 replies
Kay_NL Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:41pm
post #2 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNewBaker

i apologize if these are really dumb questions but i'm trying my hand at a new hobby so forgive me!!

I'll try to answer some of your questions...

- If I am making a round or sheet cake and want to place it in a box to deliver to work, etc... when i make the cake I place it on a cardboard round that is the same size or 1 size smaller than my cake? and do I place it on another board then decorate to put it in the box or how does this work?
I don't put the cake on a same size or smaller board unless it is to be stacked on top of another cake. I put the cake directly on the cake board that is going on the box. I wouldn't want to go through 2 cake boards for every cake, and would be concerned that the smaller board would slip around regardless of how I attach it to the bottom board.

No water goes in my icing so I use milk, I have no idea what is better.

- the leaf tip in the wilton kit 1 is absolutely horrible (either that or i am in the wrong hobby) is there another tip i can use for better results?
There is a tip (#352) that is introduced in a later course that really makes leaves more pleasant to make! It was difficult to make the leafs in course 1 but practice makes perfect, at least it did for me!!

- after crumb coating do you refrigerate before doing the final coat, does that cause condensation issues?
I don't refrigerate, I just leave it in a cake box until the icing crusts over well enough for me to ice without crumb issues.

- does anyone have issues with getting fibers in their icing when using viva paper towels?
I've never used them but I haven't heard any issues. I use wax paper to smooth.

Hope this helps somewhat!!! icon_smile.gif Happy cake decorating!

Cakeonista Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 15

I agree with most of these answers. As far as the cake boards go, I use a cake board the same size as my cake if I am putting my cake on a decorative board and do not want the cake touching my contact paper. If I am using a regular silver board than no. I also use milk or coffee creamer to thin, depending on what I used to make my icing. Some people do use water with no issues. I'm not sure about the leaf tip. I don't make many buttercream flowers. You can also refrigerate your crumb coat if you want. This speeds things up but not necessary.

mcalhoun Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 15

You can also thin your icing for writing w/ a little karo syrup it gives it makes it eaiser for me at least.
I use Viva and have NEVER had any problems w/ fibers I have never even heard of anyone having this problem.
You will love tip 352 our instructor told us about it right away
For the board just remember to make sure it is strong enough if it is not your buttercream will crack. Foam Core board works great for this. Just cover it w/ freezer paper (shiney side out).

Kay_NL Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariu

As far as the cake boards go, I use a cake board the same size as my cake if I am putting my cake on a decorative board and do not want the cake touching my contact paper.

Thank you!! See, I live in the land of no supplies so all I have access to are the silver foil boards (I use pre-foiled!). What exactly is contact paper, and I assume it needs to be labeled as food safe? Do you just use icing to attach the smaller board to the larger?

MrsNewBaker Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 15

Thank you all for your responses!!!!

Let me make sure I understabd correctly if I put a cake in a box then I should use a foam board with the foil and make sure the box is the same size as the board? I assume these aren't reusable right lol?

Do you guys put your roses in the fridge then place them on the cake if so have u ever had a problem with them adhering to the cake? Or is it better to let them crust a little at room temp then place them? And do you use a toothpick or the rose scissors?

Okay I swear these are my last questions...................well for the next hour or so icon_smile.gif thanks again for all your help!!!!

Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 15

Honey, no one is born knowing everything about cakes so keep questioning everyone. There's no such thing as a dumb question =]

You can put the cake directly to a the base Some people use the foam board as the base since its a lot stronger. They cover it with foil or something food safe so the cake doesn't come in contact with the foam board. You can make the base (foam board) bigger if you want, so you can add borders if you prefer. The base shouldn't be bigger than the box you are going to use to deliver it because obviously it would fit.

Good luck.

kakeladi Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 15

.......- If I am making a ... cake and want to place it in a box to deliver... place it on a cardboard round that is the same size or 1 size smaller than my cake? and do I place it on another board then decorate to put it in the box or how does this work?
You can use 2 boards.....one the same or smaller than the cake then glue it to a decorated board 2" larger than the cake OR you can place the cake directly on a covered board 2" larger. I do not like using foamcore board......I buy cardboard cake circles and cover them w/foil or other decorative things. If the covering of the board is not food safe, then use another board the same size as the cake.

Piping gel; Karo syrup; water; or any other liquid can be used. Gel or syrup will give the icing a tiny bit of stretch w/o thinning it as much.

That tip can be modified easily for better results but get tip 349, 350 &/or 352. Use the Wilton tip (65 thru70) for borders icon_smile.gif

NO. Frig'ing a cake only makes the icing cold it does not dry out which is what you really want. I have NEVER in over 30 yrs frig'ed a crumb coated cake! Once a cake is completely sealed with a crumb coat it can sit on the counter/room temp for 3-5 days w/o drying out. Crumb coat should dry and be ready for the final covering within 5-15 minutes.

- anyone have issues with fibers in their icing when using viva paper towels?
Never. Is your icing really dry? Unless they have changed viva that should not be an issue.

- roses in the fridge then place them on the cake...ever had a problem with them adhering to the cake? ... better to let them crust a little at room temp then place them? .... use a toothpick or the rose scissors?

Nope, no frig'ing roses. Put them directly on the cake w/your off-set spatula or rose scissors. If you want to make them up ahead to have on hand let them air-dry. Use the Wilton class decorating icing recipe. It's perfect for this application.

kates_kakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:29am
post #9 of 15

When you all are talking about covering your board with food safe material, what are some things you can cover it with besides foil and fondant??

Thanks!
Katelyn

Ariginal Posted 6 May 2009 , 12:45am
post #10 of 15

as my hubby always says
"i would rather ask a dumb question than make a dumb mistake"

there are no such things as dumb questions and if you dont ask you dont know or learn so keep them coming we are all here to help.

I cant add to what the others have said they have said it all plus i CANT for the life of me do piped roses etc hehe i can only do gumpaste or fondant ones sorry.

MrsNewBaker Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:28am
post #11 of 15

OH MY GOD I SWEAR I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!! I have NEVER in all my life seen so many helpful people you have no idea how much I appreciate all of you guys advice THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!

I got one more little question when stacking cakes, is each tier a 2 layer cake?

I ask because I was pricing baking pans online and noticed they sell fat daddy pan sets with only 1 pan per size unless you buy them individually....

Rylan Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:45am
post #12 of 15

It depends on the size you want. I've mad 6 layers of cake in 1 tier. The possiblities are endless.

Kay_NL Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:29am
post #13 of 15

I think all of my cakes have had 2 layers in a tier, but it really depends on what people are looking for, and the height of cake you are going for!! There have been times where I've heightened a cake by torting it twice (at the customers request for LOTS) of icing. icon_smile.gif

It is really worth your time to get at least 2 pans of each size you will use if you are making 2 layer tiers! icon_smile.gif It is an investment, but it pays off eventually and you won't have to do 2 rounds of washing, baking, and waiting to get 2 layers of the same size!!

Shelly4481 Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:25pm
post #14 of 15

I agree with everyone, I have two of each pan except for the larger ones. I rotate baking, bake the large one then while that is baking work on the smaller ones. When the big one comes out of oven put smaller ones in two at a time. While they are baking, you have time to take big cake out of pan, wash and get ready to bake in it again. And remember a good support system is worth every penny.

MLand Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:45am
post #15 of 15

I was using the Viva method to get a smooth icing. But I did notice "hair like fibers' in a few of my cakes. So the next time I did a cake, I put on a white shirt and after icing the cake, noticed blue and red as well as black hair like fibers. So then I got examing the paper towel, and SEEN the red, blue, and black fibers in the towels!! Needless to say, I no longer use the Viva method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%