Chess Pieces ~ How Do They Mold Together?

Decorating By Starkie Updated 6 May 2009 , 11:15pm by tonedna

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 11

I have a chess piece mold that I am trying to make chocolate chess pieves for a cake. The molds give you half of the pieces, so I am making two sets and then sticking them together with melted chocolate. Does anyone have a foolproof way of doing this? (Or, better yet, a Starkie-proof way of doing this...!) On my first attempt, there are big gaps between each half. I tried to be as even as I could with my chocolate, but they still aren't coming together properly. Is there anyone out there who has done this and can give me some tips?

TIA!
<S>

10 replies
SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 11

i have a chess piece mold but i use it with fondant i haven't tried chocolate but what did come to mind was can you do one side first let it dry or get hard then when you do the other side pour the chocolate in and then place the dry one on top of that and it should glue it self together with out the gaps. you can give that a try...it's just a thought.

Starkie Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 11

I am still having the worst time with these! My chess board cake is going to end up being a checkers cake if I don't figure it out soon! Shaddi, I've tried your idea, but I am either getting a lot of overspill from the fresh chocolate, or I'm still getting big gaps on the edges. So far, I have ONE good chess piece! Does anyone else have any ideas?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 11

Have you tried using just a really really small amout of chocolate? like a dot or so?

How about a lighty dip one side of a papertowel with hot water, make sure it's not too drippy. Smudge the towel on one side of the chess figure and do the same with the other half. It will melt the chocolate a bit. From there, stick it together

Let me know if this works.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 11

I was going to say the say thing as pp but was going to suggest hitting the chocolate with a hairdryer to melt and then stick together. Also, if you get extra chocolate spilling over, can you trim it with an exacto knife?

Starkie Posted 6 May 2009 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 11

Okay, I ended up glueing the halves together with a bit of chocolate, but then I had to "smooth" the edges together with my hot little hands. This dulled the chocolate, and I didn't have that nice shine to it, but at least it worked. I would love to know how to do this without dulling the chocolate, or at least find out how to get that chocolate shine back onto my piece. Anyway, thanks all for your suggestions!

Starkie Posted 6 May 2009 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 11

Okay, I ended up glueing the halves together with a bit of chocolate, but then I had to "smooth" the edges together with my hot little hands. This dulled the chocolate, and I didn't have that nice shine to it, but at least it worked. I would love to know how to do this without dulling the chocolate, or at least find out how to get that chocolate shine back onto my piece. Anyway, thanks all for your suggestions!

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:19pm
post #8 of 11

Starkie, I have done this before. It can be a little frustrating until you get the hang of it. Not all your pieces are going to be perfect but in my case I found out (through trial and error) that if you only use a small amount of chocolate your pieces will stick in a much prettier fashion. You probably will still have to do some clean up but you won't have huge gaps.
HTH icon_smile.gif

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:01pm
post #9 of 11

I watched a demo on this a year or so ago. The artist wore gloves and used a barely-warm cookie sheet (dedicated to this purpose - smooth and flat and clean)- he put one half of the mold on the sheet - flat side down on the sheet, of course - for just a second or two. This flattened and softened it so that the other side just fit into place and stuck. He had very little clean-up around the edges - there was just enough softness for the sides to meld together perfectly. I've never tried this, BTW, but it looked soooo easy icon_rolleyes.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 11

Are you scraping the top edge of each half when you fill the mold? I've been finding that this yeilds me much, MUCH nicer results with my chocolate-making--and it only takes a second or two to just drag a rubber spatula across the top once or twice to level it.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:15pm
post #11 of 11

You need to wear gloves( fabric ones) so the heat of your hands doesnt affect the chocolate as much.. You can do the cookie sheet idea, making it sof and straight and then putting them together. I use a sharp object to clean the edges so they are even.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%