Swirls And Dots On Round Cakes

Decorating By cakebakinmom Updated 5 May 2009 , 7:28pm by 2chae

cakebakinmom Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 9

I am making 3 different cakes in the next two weeks that are supposed to have swirls and dots on them. It is a very popular design, but how do you do it. I DO NOT want to free hand it. It makes me very nervous to free hand anything. Is there some sort of stencil or press and can you use it on a round cake? Please help!

8 replies
TxBama Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 9

I have a pattern press that is by Wilton. I purchased it at Michaels and Hobby Lobby carries it too. It has different scroll patterns etc. It's nice to use since it keeps your patterns in uniform size. Hope this helps...

__Jamie__ Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 9

If you want a pattern that keeps repeating itself, then an impression mat like mentioned is good. If you want a random swirl pattern....practice that freehand! I was scared as he** too, but it finally clicked one day, have to learn to steady your hand! I recently uploaded a three tier white wedding cake, (ugly inmy opinion, but EXACTLY what the bride wanted) and then the one I am really proud of is the other three tier with the red scrolls...all free hand. A few blemishes and missed dots, but pretty good.

__Jamie__ Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 9

I didn't mean that cake of mine was ugly, just the scroll pattern was not my style, like half curls and stuff....

cakebakinmom Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 9

I looked at the Wilton one, but I didn't know if it would work. Jamie I looked at your cakes and they are beautiful. I can't believe you free handed that. My hand isn't very steady and it just scared me. Thanks for the info.

cakebakinmom Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 9

Do you use royal icing or just BC for the swirls?

bakingatthebeach Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:45pm
post #7 of 9

I use buttercream

__Jamie__ Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:12pm
post #8 of 9

SMBC...and preformed pearls, a product from CK, comes in a bottle...like fondant pearls, only already made, and all uniform in size. icon_smile.gif

2chae Posted 5 May 2009 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 9

I used the wilton presses. Very easy. (Anniversary cake in my photos)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%