Styrofoam Cake Dummies

Decorating By PPattyCakes Updated 5 May 2009 , 8:12pm by destinyrn

PPattyCakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:29am
post #1 of 6

I went to a pretty up-scale wedding this weekend. The reception was held outside in a HUGE tent (approx. 200 guests). It was beautifully decorated - turquoise, fuschia, and purple colors. Uplights. Dance floor. Beautiful centerpieces, some florals in containers, some "floating", all just gorgeous! Candles. Two long buffet tables with carving stations at each end. Hanging paper lanterns. Delicious food. BEAUTIFUL, absolutely GORGEOUS cake!!! Five (or six) tiers, setting atop a beautiful pedestal. The cake was covered in fondant, each tier was in a different "jewel tone", beautifully decorated. It had that "pearlized" look. Folks just oooed and ahhhhd when they saw it - I did too - until I looked up close!

Two of the tiers were styrofoam. Air brushed styrofoam. No fondant.
Just styrofoam!!! They were decorated beautifully, but not covered in fondant! I was shocked!!!!

I'm sure that cake was very expensive. That seemed rather cheap to me.
Is this an acceptable practice??

5 replies
Ruth0209 Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:47am
post #2 of 6

That is funny. It seems like that would look pretty cheap. I've never heard of anyone just airbrushing the dummy.

cylstrial Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 6

That's crazy! I can't believe that anyone would do that. Was it obvious to cake civilians? Maybe they think that cake civilians won't notice and so they can get away with it? That is seriously NUTS though!!!

SweetSweetCreations Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 6

I would not do it that way it seems cheap and I am suprised it even looked ok

mkm25 Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 6

wow, I've never heard of that before! I like to suggest using dummies for bottom cake tiers for brides who are having a smaller wedding but want a large, impressive cake. However, it perturbs me that all the bridal magazines recommend brides ask for these dummies because they're cheaper! They take the EXACT same amount of time to decorate as real cake - you just don't have to bake the cake!

Not to change the subject of this thread, but does anyone else feel that way? What do you guys charge for your dummies?

destinyrn Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 6

OMG! They probably thought the cake civilians wouldn't notice. thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%