Is This Possible???

Decorating By andysprite Updated 7 May 2009 , 8:50pm by andysprite

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:37am
post #1 of 20

I have a client that wants a hat box cake made out of pineapple upside down cake with cream cheese frosting. Is this even possible? I would think it would be a gooey mess and it has to make a 14 hour drive to Florida.
I'd love to hear your input on this.

19 replies
aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:43am
post #2 of 20

I would put the pineapples as the filling layered between the yellow cakes. Make dams to hold it in with the cream cheese icing and ice the whole thing in the cream cheese icing. I would cook the butter/brown sugar mixture with some cornstarch or something to thicken it up a lot (almost to the consistency of pie filling) so the pineapples aren't oozing everywhere. That's how I would do it but maybe someone else has a better idea?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:45am
post #3 of 20

You're right, it doesn't sound possible. I think cream cheese frosting has to be kept refrigerated, too.

aliciag829 Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:48am
post #4 of 20

There is a crusting cream cheese recipe on this site that doesn't require refrigeration.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 20

I would do the pineaples in where I would put the filling and crusting creamcheese frosting would be the way to go.. I think It can be done..Is like a rum cake..moist. Just have to adapt it..
Edna icon_smile.gif

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:18am
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciag829

There is a crusting cream cheese recipe on this site that doesn't require refrigeration.

Do you know which one doesn't need refrigeration? When I searched recipes, I found "Crusting Cream Cheese Icing" and Wedding - Crusting Cream Cheese". My inlaws prefer cream cheese icing so this would be great for me! Thanks for your time.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:53am
post #7 of 20

you could also carmelize the pineapple in some butter before adding to the filling to get a taste closer to the upside down cake

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:03am
post #8 of 20

I've tried that crusting cream cheese icing. It's tasty and it crusts, but I can't smooth it to save my life. Then it gets schlumpy and slides down the cake. If anyone has a crusting cream cheese icing that is manageable, I'd love the recipe.

I agree with PPs that you'd have to put all the pineapple stuff inside as the filling, which is too bad because the best part of pineapple upside down cake is where it gets all carmelized and chewy.

andysprite Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:41am
post #9 of 20

Thanks so much for the input! I think I'm gonna give it a shot (I'm nervous as heck though). It if flops then I can chalk it up to a lesson learned. Thanks girls!!!

aliciag829 Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:10pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_confections

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciag829

Do you know which one doesn't need refrigeration? When I searched recipes, I found "Crusting Cream Cheese Icing" and Wedding - Crusting Cream Cheese". My inlaws prefer cream cheese icing so this would be great for me! Thanks for your time.

Neither one of them do.

njwoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
njwoods Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 20

hello all,
This certainly sounds like a big challenge----when are you attempting it?

I was thinking you could do the pineapple alone in the oven with the sauce, then puree it to add to the filling. Maybe this would make it taste the same yet be manageable with the cream cheese? Then take along some extra pineapple to garnish with, but the acidic nature of the fruit may interact with the cheese if you put it on too soon.

for the best sweets anywhere.....candy

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 20

I don't see why you couldn't. Use a denser recipe...I am a mix baker so I would use a pineapple mix and add the extra egg and vanilla pudding. I would also use pineapple juice in place of water. Perhaps a pineapple pound cake of sorts? I can't wait to see what you do...sounds exciting!

Here's an idea for the "filling" to get a truer taste.
http://www.myhomecooking.net/pineapple-upside-down-cake/pineapple-upside-down-cake-recipe.htm
"Spray a large skillet with Pam Non-stick Cooking Spray, then put the 3 Tablespoons Butter into the skillet and place on a medium low burner.

While the butter is melting drain the liquid off the 1 Can of Pineapple. Once the butter is melted add the Can of Pineapple and 3/4 Cups Brown Sugar to the skillet. Mix all these ingredients well. "

andysprite Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:37pm
post #13 of 20

njwoods, I'll be baking the cake this evening and decorating tomorrow. Unfortunately, I'm not the one carrying the cake to FL. A mutual friend of mine and the clients will be making the trip. Thankfully it's a small cake so it should travel okay as long as it doesn't get too hot.
I think I'm going to make the cake with pineapple in the middle as opposed to the top or bottom of the cake. I'm hoping the cake will absorb any extra moisture and spare my fondant. I'm a little concerned about the taste of cream cheese frosting with this cake, but I have to use something under the fondant. Right?
Wish me luck!

andysprite Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:40pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsonblackvelvet13

I don't see why you couldn't. Use a denser recipe...I am a mix baker so I would use a pineapple mix and add the extra egg and vanilla pudding. I would also use pineapple juice in place of water. Perhaps a pineapple pound cake of sorts? I can't wait to see what you do...sounds exciting!

Here's an idea for the "filling" to get a truer taste.
http://www.myhomecooking.net/pineapple-upside-down-cake/pineapple-upside-down-cake-recipe.htm
"Spray a large skillet with Pam Non-stick Cooking Spray, then put the 3 Tablespoons Butter into the skillet and place on a medium low burner.

While the butter is melting drain the liquid off the 1 Can of Pineapple. Once the butter is melted add the Can of Pineapple and 3/4 Cups Brown Sugar to the skillet. Mix all these ingredients well. "

Thanks so much! Sounds delicious. I might just have to make one for the family while I'm at it. icon_smile.gif

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:42pm
post #15 of 20

I have a Mock Cream cheese icing that tastes every bit as good as the real thing and it crusts. I can also smooth with Viva and decorate with it.

2 cans store bought cream cheese icing
1 cup butter flavored crisco
2lbs powdered sugar
1 dram cheesecake flavoring(lor-ann)
water(to your personal consistency taste)

I don't always use the cheesecake flavoring but it does kick it up a bit.

Enjoy and let me know what you think.

My customers LOVE it and it doesn't need refrigerated.

andysprite Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:05pm
post #16 of 20

Ok ladies....the cake is done. Whew. It'll be a miracle if it survives the trip to Florida. The client kept changing her mind about what she wanted. We ended up with a two tier animal print cake, both tiers being pineapple upside down cake.
I only made one layer of each tier with the pineapple and made sure the pineapple was between two layers of cake. (does that make sense?). Then I put a light layer of cream cheese frosting over the tiers, just enough to adhere the fondant. However, the fondant was super sweaty and was absorbing a lot of the moisture from the frosting and cakes. I went ahead and painted the animal print on, but should have waited until the fondant had dried out and started setting up. Lesson learned! The fondant was sagging slightly on one side, but nothing major.
Hopefully the client will be happy and the cake will make the trip without being destroyed. icon_wink.gif

Again, thanks for all your help! You ladies are a huge blessing and have taught me a ton! Thank you thank you!
LL

loriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriana Posted 7 May 2009 , 4:11pm
post #17 of 20

I jsut wanted to commend you on a great job!! My first thought when I read your initial post, was to bust out in laughter. I thought, "Oh lordie!! Thats a crazy and difficult request!". Then I read the responses. Everyone is so helpful. Your cakes stacked looked great. I think you are very brave and talented icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 7 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #18 of 20

Congratulations! You did an excellent job with a very difficult cake! I bet you are looking forward to the next big challenge. It feels good huh?! Way to go!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:50pm
post #19 of 20

It looks awesome!! Did it survive the drive?? I hope you made it without any trouble!

andysprite Posted 7 May 2009 , 8:50pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks so much for the compliments. As usual, there are things I wish I'd done different. But, considering what I had to work with I think it turned out okay.

A friend will be making the drive with the cake tomorrow....it should arrive in Florida on Saturday a.m.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%