Teacher's Appreciation Cake - Red Velvet

Decorating By cricket0616 Updated 11 May 2009 , 10:05pm by soygurl

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:33am
post #1 of 14

I have been asked to bake a cake or cupcakes for teacher's appreciation week and I have been trying to decide what to make. I have never made a velvet cake, however I have been waiting for an opportunity and I think this may be it. My challenge comes in with icing. If I use a cream cheese frosting, I will not be able to refrigerate the cake all day. I have to deliver the items by 8am for the teacher's luncheon later that day. Is it going to hold up if left out all day????

My first thought was to make a cupcake cake and decorate the top, but again I do not know if the icing will hold up. Advice???

If cream cheese frosting is not the way to go, please give ideas for alternatives.

13 replies
aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:03am
post #2 of 14

There is a crusting cream cheese recipe on this website that does not need to be refrigerated. Search for it under recipes. HTH

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 5 May 2009 , 10:49am
post #3 of 14

I think that crusting cream cheese will work. And I'm assuming it'll be out (room temp, not out in the heat) from 8am till lunch only. I don't think that'll be a problem (with that recipe). Red Velvet is my favorite but it HAS to be with cream cheese.

Reimagining_Confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reimagining_Confections Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:08am
post #4 of 14

I love Red Velvet, but I too am doing a teachers appreciation cake this week and the only flavor I was asked NOT to do, was Red Velvet. Several of the teachers are apparently not a fan of the taste. They called it bitter- must be the red food coloring people have used that made them think that icon_confused.gif

If you do red velvet- has to have cream cheese frosting. The crusting one works well and doesn't need refridgeration. I know whatever you make the teachers will appreciate it!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 5 May 2009 , 11:35am
post #5 of 14

Your crusting cream cheese icing will be fine with those circumstances.

cricket0616 Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:00pm
post #6 of 14

Can you decorate with crusting cream cheese? I was considering making a cupcake cake and decorating the top with a small message of thanks.

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 14

If you make it stiff and keep it refrigerated as long as possible, you can do pretty much whatever decorations you could do in buttercream.

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 14

Yep

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:40pm
post #9 of 14

I use the CCC recipe on here all the time, in fact my entire wedding cake (see link) was iced and decorated with it- it sat out for hours, no problems- (as long as it's not in the sun or really hot)- it should be fine. I agree Red Velvet HAS to be iced with CC icing! icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=35297

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 7 May 2009 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 14

I would go with cream cheese as well. You can decorate with it, but it is a little more tempermental than reg BC.

Stephanie

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:36am
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket0616

... I have never made a velvet cake, however I have been waiting for an opportunity and I think this may be it. ...

Personally, I would NEVER make a new type of cake that I hadn't done before for an order. New recipes have a way of failing at the wrong time, or just not coming out as expected (too dry, too crumbly, too dense, etc.).

Plus IME, red velvet is a particularly temperamental type of cake. It seems to be a "love it or hate it" type of flavor, and in my area, people are mostly unfamiliar with it and most end up on the "hate it" end of the spectrum. I tried 5+ different recipes before finding one I could stand, and I'm still not totally happy with it, but I think that's because I just don't like red velvet much. icon_rolleyes.gif

Sorry to be such a downer, and good luck with whatever you decide to do!! thumbs_up.gif

Madiken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madiken Posted 11 May 2009 , 3:41am
post #12 of 14

I've used a crusting cream cheese and left it out all day. It is just fine and the only option I can think for a red velvet cake.

cricket0616 Posted 11 May 2009 , 2:10pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks soygirl for the advice, unfortunately I did not get it in time. I did try a new recipe and it did not work. I had to throw them all out, they were horrible. It wasn't really a big deal though. The PTA asked all parents to bring a dish in for the teacher's appreciation luncheon, so it was like I was getting paid for it. I ended up making pigs in a blanket instead. Oh well, we live and learn.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 11 May 2009 , 10:05pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket0616

Thanks soygirl for the advice, unfortunately I did not get it in time. I did try a new recipe and it did not work. I had to throw them all out, they were horrible. It wasn't really a big deal though. The PTA asked all parents to bring a dish in for the teacher's appreciation luncheon, so it was like I was getting paid for it. I ended up making pigs in a blanket instead. Oh well, we live and learn.

Oh gosh, I'm sorry! What a bummer! I swear... it's like the curse of the new recipe or something! Every time I try a new one for something important it ends up being a disaster (though when I try a new recipe for fun it almost always works great icon_confused.gif). I wish it hadn't happened to you too; however, I'm glad it wasn't a major paid order or something like that. I imagine the pigs in blankets were a hit too! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%