Cake Decorating Class Fustration! - A Vent

Decorating By Munchkinette Updated 7 May 2009 , 2:26pm by PTBUGZY1

Munchkinette Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #1 of 13

I need to vent, I'm feeling fustrated right now! I signed up for my first wilton cake decorating class at Michaels and it was suppose to start tomorrow. But I got a call this evening by the WMI saying the class is cancelled because not enough people signed up. This is the second time this is happen to me! The first time I tried to take a Wilton candy making class at Joann Etc. and it was cancelled. Ugh! I am so frustrated because I really want to learn more about cake decorating and candy making. I think I'm going to call around to some of the cake decorating supplies stores here and see if any of them offer classes. Hopefully I'll have better luck.

12 replies
JustABite Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #2 of 13

I feel your frustration!

What part of MI are you from? I am located in very southern Michigan. I also can not find a class. I would love to SEE someone in action. I am a very visual learner.

Trying to learn for me. Just to know I can do it. I am not looking to be the at home baker stealing the business of licensed bakers. Just want to do for gifts and family.

Hope you find something to help! Maybe we should try to get a group from MI together. Sounds fun to me.

sweetcakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:02am
post #3 of 13

there is a mimimum class enrollement of 4. I encourage people wanting to take the class to ask around their family and friends to see if any of them want to take the class too, generally everyone knows someone who wants to take the class to, but not until the class has already started. you tend to find that out when you take your decorated cake to work. Its very frustrating for the instructor too. Its not her decision but one agreed upon by Wilton and the account hosting the class. if you can a group of 4 together the instructor will probably but a class together just for your group, i do.

HeatherH Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:14am
post #4 of 13

I had a similar situation happen. However, the instructor was able to ask her manager if the class could continue with the smaller my case it was only me!!! which the manager let me take the class alone!, but the managers do have a say so...maybe ask the instructor if she can ask? What is she going to say? No? she already said that by cancelling the class. It couldn't hurt!

tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:25am
post #5 of 13

I can understand why she cancelled the class with only one student.. It's frustrating to you as probably is for her.. Wilton wont pay well when you are teaching only for one, even though it takes the same amount of time and effort for the teacher to go teach a class for one than for 10.

Maybe if you talk to her she can teach you private classes..
Edna icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:38am
post #6 of 13

As a Micheals WMI please know that it is totally frustrating for us as well. I really hate that they brought this rule back. icon_sad.gif I hate making the calls to cancel class cause I hate disappointing future students.

If you are really interested in the class I would get on the next sign up sheet as soon as possible. Sometimes it just takes a name already on the sheet to get other people to sign up.

Munchkinette Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 13

So I got over my mood, picked up the phone and starting calling around to find a wilton course 1 class. And I found one! It starts tomorrow(may 7th) and there were 2 spots left. So soon as I got off the phone I high tailed it down to the store and signed up. They gave me a class list but so far I only bought the class kit and book. I figured I would wait till after the class tomorrow to purchase the rest of my stuff because I may already own some of the item needed. Did I mention I'm really excited?!

Oh and to top it off, my dh comes home from work tonight and tells he may need a cake for work and would I make it. icon_confused.gificon_surprised.gif

blondeez Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:05pm
post #8 of 13

Im glad to hear that you found a class. I know when I lived in Georgia, the first class I wanted to take was cancelled. The store was nice enough to give me the instructors name & number and I was able to contact her directly. Fortunately for me she taught at another store close to me & was able to get in. But if there hadnt been one I had all intentions of begging her to teach me at home. I would have paid her for her time also.

jammjenks Posted 6 May 2009 , 11:06pm
post #9 of 13

Good for you! They should tell you tomorrow what you'll need for the class. Looking at your posted cake, it looks like you're certainly off to a great start!

cakes22 Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:00pm
post #10 of 13

Wow, canceling a class for lack of interest???? I can't find a class here, all our Wilton classes have waiting lists.

I ended up taking a different course thru our community college.

courtney1009 Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:19pm
post #11 of 13

I'm glad you got your class. I don't know if you've decorated cakes before, but I have found Sharon Zambito and Jennifer Dontz dvd's very helpful. I have only taken 1 actual class. The rest I have learned from books and those DVD's. The DVD's are very thorough and compliment each other very well. They teach fondant, smooth buttercream, how to stack a cake, all kinds of different ways to accent your cakes and many tips and tricks that I never would have known. I just thought I'd let you know incase this happens to you again. Also I know my local library carries the wilton DVD's so you could rent those for free. Or there is a show on PBS that is about cake decorating. I think its affiliated with wilton, but I'm not sure. (Those could teach you how to make frosting and royal icing flowers.) Personally I prefer Sharon and Jen's DVD's but the wilton ones might be helpful too if you are just starting. Jen and Sharon are on CC and they are very helpful if you ever have any questions about they're DVD's. I hope this helps. Enjoy your class!

destinyrn Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:13pm
post #12 of 13

That rule is a bummer, but your persaverance paid off icon_smile.gif I have enjoyed the classes and can't wait to watch my Boxes and Bows DVD.

PTBUGZY1 Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:26pm
post #13 of 13

Munchkinette, I am in the same position as you, I've signed up 3 times and always not enough students, both at Michaels and Hobby Lobby. The next class starts this saturday icon_smile.gif (fingers crossed) however my son has a karate tournament he can NOT miss this saturday icon_sad.gif . The teacher was so nice she's willing to see me alone to give me a quick overview of class one, woohoo let's hope 4 people wanna take the class.
Glad it worked out for you Munchkinette. happy learning icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%