Maybe A Really Stupid Question....but...

Decorating By umgrzfn Updated 5 May 2009 , 1:03am by artscallion

umgrzfn Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 8

Is there a way to substitue PS in fondant to make a sugar free fondant? What about the diabetics out there that want a fab cake?!!! There has to be something....isn't there?!

7 replies
crazygravy Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 8

I wonder if you could grind up splenda with a coffee grinder to a fine powder and use that? I have no idea and I'm not an expert but it may be worth a try?

G_Cakes Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 8

would be very curious to know the answer to this question as well since half my family is diabetic...

Free Bump

pattycakesnj Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 8

maybe, just maybe, you could grind up splenda to the consistency of PS and see if that works in a fondant recipe. I made a buttercream with splenda and dream whip once, it wasn't bad but nothing to write home about. Check splenda's website, they do have recipes

ninatat Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 8

personally i'm not sure, but i google or put things like that in my browser and see where it takes me, and i'll word it differently if i can't finds what i'm looking for their might even be a baking forum for diabetics worth a try. There has been great strides in making sweets for diabetics

cas17 Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:16am
post #6 of 8

just a thought but doesn't the ps thicken and dry up the fondant so it can be rolled out? not sure the splenda would do that. plus ps also has some cornstarch in it so you'd have to prob add a bit along with the splenda.

idjitmom Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:54am
post #7 of 8

I would think that there wouldn't really be any way to do this. Just use fondant & make sure they know to peel it off, a lot of people don't eat it anyways, even the good tasting stuff.

artscallion Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:03am
post #8 of 8

I'd think it'd cost a fortune for the amount of Splenda you'd need to grind to get enough to make a batch of fondant. That stuff's so light and airy, I imagine it'd reduce to practically nothing when you grind it. Plus it's so expensive to begin with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%