Sweet 16 Cake Ideas?....please?!

Decorating By umgrzfn Updated 5 May 2009 , 5:12pm by umgrzfn

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 9

I am throwing a surprise sweet 16 party for my kiddo. Her colors are hot pink (well as hot as I can get it) and black. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm a visual person so pictures would be great. I love to look at pics, put them all together and then come up with something spectacular. I would like a two-three tier cake. 6/8/10 or possibly 6/10/12. I don't want to go much bigger then that. I am doing it mainly for looks there will be about 40-45 people there and I know a cake the size that I want to make will feed way more....however, my baby is turning 16 and I want it to be amazing. My second problem................when I have tinted fondant black, I can't get it as black as I would like. It turns out much more of a dark green and THEN it is really sticky and gooie...any ideas on this matter either. If you could let me know ASAP (party is on the 16th) I would so much appreciate it!! Thanks in advance and I will post a pic of it after it is done!
Thanks again
Cara

8 replies
cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:51pm
post #2 of 9

I love hot pink and black too ! As far as a design goes, maybe you could add some elements of your daughters favorite things, ie: ipod, cellphone, shool colors and graduation year, etc , etc,.

Getting black to be black is easier if you start with a chocolate frosting.
hth. good luck and be sure to post a pic when you are done. icon_biggrin.gif

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 9

oh duh, sorry! icon_redface.gif Oh my gosh it's SWEET 16 not graduation. I have graduation orders and it's coming up quick so I guess I was thinking graduation. So silly of me icon_redface.gif you could do everything i stated above except maybe the school year.

umgrzfn Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:03am
post #4 of 9

GREAT idea about the stuff she likes. I didn't even think of that!!!! Oh my gosh, that opens up a whole new set of eyes!! Thx much!!

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:28am
post #5 of 9

How about cool prints like a hot pink & black zebra print? My sweet 16 customers seem to love it. And for black fondant, it's best to buy it. I love Satin Ice. When I order on-line, it ships very quickly. Good Luck.

cricket0616 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cricket0616 Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:34am
post #6 of 9

Take a look in my pictures. My best friend's daughter had me do a hot pick and black zebra print "Sweet Sixteen" cake for her birthday. All the girls went crazy for it. I also don't like trying to deal with making black fondant so I ordered a small 2lb bucket of satin ice. It did not cost that much and saved me some time. Have fun!! I really enjoyed making this cake.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:50am
post #7 of 9

How about pink butterflies and orange catterpillars with grey cacoons hanging on branches? You can also make hot pink roses and have small brown laybugs on it. On the bottom use black fondant to cover the cake and hot pink zebra stripes and circles to make it look like the sebra has interbread with a leopard. -- I'm just kidding =]

Ok I'm serious this time. Well I think a stack of shoe boxes and a shopping bag on top is great, with pearls hanging off the bag. Or maybe use a zebra print and before you stick the stripes on the cake, cover the stripes with black or pink sanding sugar to add dimesion.

As far as black, I would recommend using ready made black fondant or maybe start with chocolate fondant as its base and then tint it.

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:35am
post #8 of 9

This would be cool in pink & black

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=889543

This one too!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1214456

This is a cool cake stand

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1313333

Pre tinted black is the best way to go to save a lot of hassle, and using what she loves to do is best for ideas

umgrzfn Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 9

You all have amazing ideas. THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%