Sweet 16 Cake Ideas?....please?!

Decorating By umgrzfn Updated 5 May 2009 , 6:17pm by ladybug76

umgrzfn Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 8

I am throwing a surprise sweet 16 party for my kiddo. Her colors are hot pink (well as hot as I can get it) and black. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm a visual person so pictures would be great. I love to look at pics, put them all together and then come up with something spectacular. I would like a two-three tier cake. 6/8/10 or possibly 6/10/12. I don't want to go much bigger then that. I am doing it mainly for looks there will be about 40-45 people there and I know a cake the size that I want to make will feed way more....however, my baby is turning 16 and I want it to be amazing. My second problem................when I have tinted fondant black, I can't get it as black as I would like. It turns out much more of a dark green and THEN it is really sticky and gooie...any ideas on this matter either. If you could let me know ASAP (party is on the 16th) I would so much appreciate it!! Thanks in advance and I will post a pic of it after it is done!
Thanks again
Cara

7 replies
underthesun Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:59am
post #2 of 8

There are so many great hot pink cakes in the gallery! If you scroll down far enough, you can choose cakes by color. I'm sure you'll be able to find several in order to help you visualize.

I haven't tried coloring it yet, but I've read if you start out with chocolate fondant and then color it black, it's much easier. I just used Satin Ice Dark chocolate fondant. It was almost too dark for what i wanted. I can't imagine it taking much to turn it black. It's on my cake photo "teacher appreciation". Gives you an idea how dark it actually is. Good luck and can't wait to see what you come up with. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:06am
post #3 of 8
ptanyer Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:07am
post #4 of 8

Not to toot my own horn, but here is a link to the Sweet 16 Birthday Cake I did for my bosses oldest daughter last fall. It was a surprise party as well. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1263570

And I agree with underthesun, start with chocolate/brown fondant and then add black and it won't take alot to make it the shade of black you want. I've done this a couple of times and it works great. I also tend to make too much colored fondant and then I put it in airtight containers or bags and it keeps forever. I use a food vacuum system and it works great.

HTH's icon_smile.gif

umgrzfn Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 8

Beautiful cake ptanyer! Thx for the info re: black fondant. Iwill definately try starting with chocolate!!

icer101 Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 8

i would use black satin ice fondant.. no problems there... make a big no. 16.. and something special on it that represents her.. and go on from there.. hth the black satin ice fondant taste good also.. like vanilla .. global sugar art gets it to you fast.... you probably know that already....

SweetSweetCreations Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 8

I did a hot pink and Zebra Stripe cake for my daughter and everyone loved it. I don't kow if that is her thing but all the high school girls went crazy over it and I have had seveal request for that cake. You can look in my pics. The black I used I started to color it several days in advance and had no problems getting it black.

ladybug76 Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:17pm
post #8 of 8

If your starting with white fondant, you will need a TON of black coloring and lots of soap to wash it off your hands... for the next few days. I have made black fondant before, but required lots of coloring and kneeding. Now.... I found Satin Ice black fondant and presto - I'm done!! No coloring and tastes good.
I didn't get a chance to search for any pics (my break is over at my 'real' job!! icon_lol.gif ) but I see tons of pics for zebra stripe and hot pink, as mentioned above!!!
Best wishes!! Can't wait to see your creation!!
~ Jaime

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%