Beware Of Scammers

Decorating By Wesha Updated 5 May 2009 , 4:04pm by momsandraven

Wesha Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Guys,

I had a lady to call me a few mins ago requesting a 4 tier wedding cake in fondant. Ok. So I asked her when did she need it, get ready for this--She tells me Saturday as in 5 days from now. I told her that I did not do short notice wedding cakes or anything else for that matter. All wedding cakes need to be ordered at least 2 to 3 months in advance. So I tells her, the only way that I will make it is if she pays for the cake in full tomorrow so that I could start buying supplies etc.... Then she says that I will not be able to pay you until Friday. I then came out with a flat out "no". I told her that I could not do the cake and wished her luck trying to find someone that would do it for her. People have some real nerves to think they can scam and get away with it. Had I said yeah, I would be sitting home on Friday waiting for her to show. I have read too many stories like this on CC to let this happen to me. Just thought I would share with you guys. You all are like my extended family now.

Talk with you guys later

4 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 5

Well, aside from the obvious lack of planning on the part of this moron, it may not have been someone trying to scam you....just really dumb to think that someone would hang themselves out there and assume they will be paid promptly at delivery time. I guess there are some people out there that would do this. Ai yi yi!

FairyPoppins Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 5

She may not have been a scammers but just someone who thinks cakes can be thrown together at the last minute. You totally did the right thing about requesting the cash up front though.

I went to a wedding cake class a couple of months ago and the teacher said she usually bakes the cakes on Thursday, decorates on Friday and delivers them on Saturday. So that's why I think some people think wedding cakes can be done at short notice.

Also I read an ad on Craigslist recently from an illegal baker who claims that the wedding cakes are baked and decorated fresh on the morning of the wedding!!!

saycheese Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:50pm
post #4 of 5
Originally Posted by FairyPoppins

Also I read an ad on Craigslist recently from an illegal baker who claims that the wedding cakes are baked and decorated fresh on the morning of the wedding!!!

oh yeah...that sounds realistic! icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

momsandraven Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 5

Here's a favorite of mine, and it has actually happened to me several times- using the SAME NAME! They call through the IP relay system for hearing-impaired. They ask about wedding availability for something within the next 2 weeks. The first time, I said I was available and they asked for my email address to further the conversation of what they wanted. The email was the typical broken English, bad sentence structure, over-the-top design on a huge cake. I recognized some of the email as a scam I had received before and told them I was not able to take their order. Since then, when I receive the calls from the IP relay from the same name (Ben or Benjamin), I say that I am not available and inform the IP operator that the call is a scam. Here's a link to some helpful info:

It is such a shame that scammers are abusing a system that was designed to be a blessing to those who truly need it. >icon_sad.gif

A friend of mine went through with it a few years ago (she had received a phone call, like above.) They asked if they could overpay with their credit card for the wedding cake so they could have cash to pay the DJ at the reception. Yep, you guessed it, bad credit card info and she was stuck with the bill.

Quote by @%username% on %date%