Cake Pricing/sizing?

Business By MystiqueFire Updated 5 May 2009 , 2:32am by MystiqueFire

MystiqueFire Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:22pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, all! I'm not usually one for doing cakes, but someone on my SIL's family is getting married and my brother wants to buy their cake for their wedding. Problem is, i have no idea what size tiers to do, and I dont know how much anyone usually charges for this stuff. Can anyone help? I want to know what you would charge if it were your customer, because if I feel like giving him a discount ( icon_wink.gif and I may not icon_lol.gif ) I want to know what it would cost.

Here are the specs:

55 people
3 tiers (one chocolate, one white, one golden yellow cake)
fondant design with ribbon band.
They already have the cake topper and the decoration is minimal, it's just cow-print design with flowers in between the layers, but exclude the price of flowers because he's going to buy the flowers himself.

Thanks, pro's!

Jasmine

5 replies
ApplegumKitchen Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 6

It would cost:-

The cost of your ingredients/materials/utilities + (the amount you think you should be paid per hour x the number of hours it takes you to complete)

indydebi Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 6

Here's the weddign chart I use .... a 6/8/10 will serve 74. http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

Here's how to cut a cake to achieve those servings: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

MystiqueFire Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:05am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

It would cost:-

The cost of your ingredients/materials/utilities + (the amount you think you should be paid per hour x the number of hours it takes you to complete)

what if i dont know how many hours it will take me to complete?
Sorry for being a pain in the pants. icon_redface.gif

indydebi Posted 5 May 2009 , 12:21am
post #5 of 6

You can figure your time ok ... just break it down.

Let's assume you're making a 6/8/10 cake. How many of those pans will fit in your oven at once? Assume 30 minutes per baking "batch". I'd say allow 1.5 hours for baking time. Add 30 minutes +/- for mixing and filling the pans.

On the other cakes you've made, you'll have an idea of how long it took you to crumb coat them. Then how long it takes you to ice one.

Just break it down into steps and you'll be able to come up with a general idea. thumbs_up.gif

MystiqueFire Posted 5 May 2009 , 2:32am
post #6 of 6

Oh ok! Now that makes sense!
Hm, sounds a lot easier then I thought! Thank you so much!!!

And thanks to Applegumkitchen, too ;0)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%