How Much Have You Improved?

Decorating By Rylan Updated 20 May 2009 , 11:03pm by Rylan

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:36am
post #31 of 87

I think I have come a pretty good ways since my first cakes.

I started about 3 yrs ago and then stopped for about a year and a half or so and just started back doing cakes the past few months.

Anyway here is one of my first cakes....so sad, but it meant well...it really did.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=87348

And now I am at this level:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1345425

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1358331

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:38am
post #32 of 87

I don't have an electronic picture of my first cake. If I find the photo, i'll try to scan it. But it was my very first cake, for my birthday, and I shudder when I think of it. It was supposed to have tulips on it. Instead, it looked like a duck had walked all over the thing! But I have come a long way. My last cake was just one of the "most popular cakes added today" yesterday on here!

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:41am
post #33 of 87

they great! i remember seeing both the last 2 photos, and remember the one with the horse was the day when you were like busy making HEAPS of cupcakes and cakes etc that day

.......Yes i am on here alot when i am bored and need a cake fix when i can't make cakes lol

p.s congratss sharon with the popular photo!

Elise87 Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:49am
post #34 of 87

Sorry i'll try to stop posting so much icon_eek.gif lol

patticakesnc Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:56am
post #35 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

LOL, I know I am on here WAY too much too. I have managed to move my printer and lap top the the dining room table and positioned the table where I can see the tv.....OMG I HAVE NO LIFE icon_cry.gif ...other than cake life LOL icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:00am
post #36 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by patticakesnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

LOL, I know I am on here WAY too much too. I have managed to move my printer and lap top the the dining room table and positioned the table where I can see the tv.....OMG I HAVE NO LIFE icon_cry.gif ...other than cake life LOL icon_biggrin.gif

People ask me how I do my work and answer questions.. well...I love my laptop...Right now..is in bed with me...poor of my husband!.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

supermama322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supermama322 Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:03am
post #37 of 87

I'm happy this post came up, I feel I've improved a lot.
When I got engaged, I started making cakes to practice so I could make my own wedding cake and save a little money. Well I spent probably more making cakes and buying supplies before the wedding than I would have spent on a cake, but it was oh so worth it. I found what I want to do and I love it.

This is the first cake I ever did. It was my daughters 1st birthday cake and all buttercream. I hate buttercream... lol, I watched your youtube videos today though Edna on smoothing buttercream and I'm hoping they will help me like buttercream one day.
This cake was done in March 2008.

First Cake Ever

Here is the first fondant cake I ever did, done in May 2008.

First Fondant Cake Ever

Here is my daughters 2nd birthday cake, 1 year after my first cake ever. This was done this past March that just went by.

Cake Done In March

And just for kicks, here is my own wedding cake that I made 8 months after starting this whole process. icon_biggrin.gif

My Wedding Cake

TFL, this is such a fun idea for a thread, as I'm sure we are all proud of our progress. icon_smile.gif

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:03am
post #38 of 87

i am on my laptop sitting in the family room right now i love when my husband works nights it is just me and my second love CC

Elise87 Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:09am
post #39 of 87

LOL i am on my laptop too, damn them keeping me connected wherever i go in the house lol Well i am sick at the moment and our oven is broken at the moment so there isn't much i can do except live on here lol

I want to do a mother's day cake this week but like i said our oven is broken icon_cry.gif but my nan offered to make the cake for me and send it over for to me to decorate icon_biggrin.gif I am thinking chocolate cake covered with choc ganache and custard filling mmmmmmm....never done ganache or custard filling before eep!

shelly-101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly-101 Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:12am
post #40 of 87

wow supermomma all your cakes are great you did a fantastic job on your wedding cake it is beautiful

shelly

patticakesnc Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:21am
post #41 of 87

LOL....I think we are all CC junkies.

Supermama you're right. I think we are all proud of our progress...at least we should be. I think everyone has such as great love for the cakes that it really shows in their work...from their first to their last cake.

Well, I guess I need to be off to bed. Gotta start a purse cake tomorrow.

NITE NITE ALL!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:18pm
post #42 of 87

Edna: Wow, thats a lot lot lots of improvements. Yuur latest cake is beautiful.. actually all your cakes are!

Shelly: Thanks. I totally love the topsy turvy strawberry shortcake you made (its saved on my computer). When I saw that, I desperately tried searching for bronwen's cake study but unfortunately they had no stock left.

Rose: Omgosh I love the colors you used on the hello kitty. I looooove it.

Patticakesnc: The wood look so real! I would have never known it was a cake! Btw did you post a thread about the horse? I think I remember something about it

Suppermama: I have to admit that I am impressed with your cindarella cake. I love how you made the birds lift the bow.

patticakesnc Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:30pm
post #43 of 87

Yeah my horse cake was in a topic Friday about me being exhausted after doing it, a cupcake tower and almost 300 cupcakes. That's where you saw it.

destinyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
destinyrn Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:13pm
post #44 of 87

Thanks for doing this thread! You all have motivated me to get in the kitchen and keep practicing. thumbs_up.gif

emiliedailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiliedailey Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:04pm
post #45 of 87

This is officially my favorite thread ever. There were a few first-time cakes here that I think I could do...I now have hope! SOMEDAY I will make amazing cakes!

ghostgirl27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ghostgirl27 Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:45pm
post #46 of 87

This is a really great and inspiring thread. It feels so much more attainable when you see where others have come from. I love it!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:51pm
post #47 of 87

I hope more people would post more pictures to motivate us even more =]

I wonder what all those other professionals first cake look like.

supermama322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supermama322 Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:56pm
post #48 of 87

I wonder the same thing!
Everyone has to start somewhere.. No one is amazing instantly...right? icon_confused.gif

RylanTy, thanks for the compliment, everyone at my daughters birthday party was trying to figure that out. One lady looked for fishing wire.... Hmmmm... LOL!

patticakes, I think it truly does show in everyones work who is passionate. Personally, I'm so grateful to be this passionate about something, and make money from it at the same time! icon_smile.gif

shelly, Thank you!!! Of course, another few months of learning since the wedding, there are so many things I see now that I would have done differently, but I'm happy with it all the same.

I take my laptop to bed too sometimes, lol, there are too many pictures to look at and hubby complained one night that he didn't like going to bed alone, so I joined him along with CakeCentral. LOL! icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:40pm
post #49 of 87

I think all decorators should show their start!....I still laugh at mine!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:13am
post #50 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly101

i have gotten so much better in just the past 9 months or so i have done two spongebob cakes one for my son about 9 months ago and one last month for my nephew and i see a huge difference.

wow...you did get better! icon_eek.gif that spongebob is amazing!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 6 May 2009 , 4:15am
post #51 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

I couldn't help to post this..
This was my very first cake..many, many years ago..Look How much I grown.. from this...

Edna icon_smile.gif

toneda...it's hard to believe!

i'm glad you posted that picture...it gives us all hope that we can get better over time! thumbs_up.gif

Elise87 Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:17am
post #52 of 87

to make my post short, I just wanted to say i very much agree with what everyone is saying lol All you guys are great thumbs_up.gif

pinkcamo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkcamo Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:26am
post #53 of 87

I'm lovin' this thread! It's really neat to see how everyone has progressed!!

Here is my very 1st attempt: Image

And my most recent cake: Image

Elise87 Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:34am
post #54 of 87

wow pinkcamo what a difference. That most recent cake is fantastic, love the little tools they are so cute!

tonedna Posted 6 May 2009 , 5:38am
post #55 of 87

There is only but one way to go.. is up!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:00am
post #56 of 87

oh no tonedna u got that song 'the only way is up' by yazz in my head nnnoooooooo lol

tonedna Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:07am
post #57 of 87

lmao!....sing it again!
Edna icon_lol.gif

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:20am
post #58 of 87

I think I've improved some...I hadnt been getting much practice lately because of school, but now I'm ready to go full fledge caking. Here is my first ever cake...please...hold your laughter until after I've gone to bed LOL
LL

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:21am
post #59 of 87

and here is the last cake I did
LL

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:48am
post #60 of 87

What a fun topic! Well I am by no means an expert but I do DEFINITELY see a huge improvement in my fondant abilities.

This cake represents the very first time I'd ever so much as TOUCHED fondant. Just making these pathetic little 2D fishies was sheer torture; I had no clue what I was doing. I couldn't even cut out the fondant letters without cursing; I'd say I did each letter at least 5 times and this is what I have to show for all of that work http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=52979

Here is my most recent...a fully fondanted cake with gumpaste figure and accents. First time I've ever really nailed a fondant cake (no bulging) and I think I have finally gotten the hang of working with the stuff to create decorations. (You've already seen this one RylanTy...it's the Naruto cake) http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1322181

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%