Fondant Questions

Decorating By bubbiesbougie Updated 4 May 2009 , 10:51pm by Monkess

bubbiesbougie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubbiesbougie Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 5

1- Why can't other icing (inculding rich's bettercream be used under fondat. Buttercream only?

2- Why can't fondant covered cake be stored in fridge?

3 (Off topic) If you make a icing recipe with a raw egg what is the shelf life? out of fridge.

TIA! Jaclyn!

4 replies
glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 5

Question #2 (Sorry, I cant help you with the other two)
I ALWAYS put my fondant cakes in the refrigerator. But, Ive heard some that say that their refrigerators have too much condensation and makes the fondant too soft. Ive also heard, that if you have something really smelly in the refrigerator the fondant will absorbed the smell. (I use baking soda in my frig so thats doesnt seem to be a problem for me.

Hope you get answers for the other two questions.

icon_biggrin.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 May 2009 , 8:48pm
post #3 of 5

1) not all icings can support the weight of the fondant. it also depends where you stand on the refridgeration of fondant, and if your coating needs to be in the fridge.

2) depends. on many factors. some fondants fridge better than others, not all fridges are created equal, depends on the weather conditions like humidity. experiment and see if you can do it.

3) cant help you there!
xx

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 4 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 5

1. If you don't have a firm bodied icing... it can squish around under the fondant, not a good thing. I am happy to share my recipe if you are looking for an icing that tastes great and works well under fondant. E-mail me for it

2. You can put fondant cakes in the frig. but condensation can be an issue... I find if my room temp is around 70 degrees, I get a very lt. condensation but if you don't touch it, it evaporates off.

3. can't help with that one.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:51pm
post #5 of 5

#3 I believe you can not store anything made with raw egg without refrigeration. Raw Egg is classified as a hazardrous food and you can not leave it to go over 4 degrees C. Just like mayo.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%