Can Cakeballs Be Covered In Semisweet Choc.?

Decorating By Cables4fun Updated 5 May 2009 , 10:49am by minicuppie

Cables4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cables4fun Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 6

I have 50 cake balls and was all excited to dip them on chocolate candy melts, BUT, I am out of Dark and Milk Chocolate and really do not want to use Vanilla Flavored candy melts.

Is there any way I can use semisweet Chocolate chips? Do I need to add something to make them work? PLEASE help!! I need to get these done!!

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!!

Thanks,
Lauri

5 replies
Cakedeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakedeb Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 6

Same thing happened to me last time....used chocolate chips and added a little crisco to help thin the chocolate. Got eaten so fast....will have to make more! I used the m/w to melt the chips and then set them in an electric skillet (ON LOW HEAT) with a little water in the bottom..worked great! Added a little Crisco as needed.

Cables4fun Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you SOOO much Cakedeb!! I am going to make right now!!

You are the best!!
Lauri

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:15am
post #4 of 6

I keep an airtight bowl in my freezer. Whenever I have chocolate chips or baking chocolate leftover they go into this bowl. When I need chocolate coating for cake balls or whatever, out comes the bowl, slowly melt in micro, stirring often. Pour what you need into another bowl and pop the chocolate back into the freezer. I must be really lucky or have a baking angel on my shoulder, 'cuz after about 6 months that bowl of chocolate is still going strong. It has milk chocolate, semi sweet chips, chocolate coating (the cheap kind), dark and unsweetened...you name it it is in there....and the taste is awesome!

Cables4fun Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:43am
post #5 of 6

minicuppie,

What a GREAT idea!! I will definately be doing that from now on!!

Thank you SOOO much for the practical way to use extra chocolate!!

Lauri

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 5 May 2009 , 10:49am
post #6 of 6

Just be really careful when warming straight from the freezer. One drop of water and it seizes. This started out as a way to keep from eating all the bits and pieces of leftover chocolate!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%