Buttercream Color And Taste

Decorating By nutmeg44 Updated 4 May 2009 , 6:36pm by Caralinc

nutmeg44 Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 3

Is there a limit to how dark of a color you can make buttercream without it tasting funky.

I am thinking about red, it seems like it takes a lot to actually get red and not pink.

2 replies
stsapph Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 3

The key I have noticed with the red is to let it sit over night. The color will darken more. I still end up using almost a full thing of the no taste red, but I get the right color and I haven't noticed much taste change. I have yet to try the americolor, but I've heard that you don't have to use as much. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. HTH

Caralinc Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 3

Hi, Yes using a lot of red will taste really strong. However, Wilton has a no-taste red. However, can I recommend making pink first then once you get a nice pink then add red. It will not only take less time to reach the color red but you will not need to use as much of the red and the red or no-taste red should not come through. I also have not yet tried the Americolor so I don't know but I have heard/read that it takes less color to reach the color you are looking for. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%