Royal Icing Q

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 7 May 2009 , 2:23am by tonedna

KarenOR Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:35pm
post #1 of 22

I was thinking about making a whole bunch of little r.i. bones for Hannah's dog cake. Can I make them in advance ( party is the 17th) and just put them in a container when they are dry?
Thanks.

21 replies
Gefion Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:38pm
post #2 of 22

You sure can. They keep forever when dry.

KarenOR Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 22

I thought so. I just wanted to make sure since I almost never use royal icing.
Thanks!

tonedna Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 22

Just dont put them on the fridge..Store them after they are completely dry in a dry box. And let them air dry in an open area.
Edna icon_smile.gif

KarenOR Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Just dont put them on the fridge..Store them after they are completely dry in a dry box. And let them air dry in an open area.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Anything you say...you are a cake goddess! icon_biggrin.gifprincess.gif

tonedna Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 22

oh god..That's the first time someone calls me a cake goddess.. icon_lol.gif Thanks..Still you can call me just a cake friend!
Edna icon_smile.gif

KarenOR Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:08pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

oh god..That's the first time someone calls me a cake goddess.. icon_lol.gif Thanks..Still you can call me just a cake friend!
Edna icon_smile.gif

I don't know. After watching some of your you tube segments, I'm just in awe. I need a little bowing down emoticon icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 22

aww..and here I thought I suck in front of a camera..lol
Edna icon_lol.gif

idgalpal Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:59pm
post #9 of 22

If I make a batch of royaL icing can I store it and use it later? I just want to practice with it and if I make a full recipe (4 cups of pwd sugar, etc.) I'll have ri coming out my ears~

pattycakesnj Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:03pm
post #10 of 22

it lasts a long time, just stir it again before using as it may seperate

rockytop Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:07pm
post #11 of 22

you can make a batch and store it, I have stored my for about 3 weeks then I thru out.

tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:22am
post #12 of 22

Royal Icing will last for awhile, but keep in mind the consistency will change. So if you are making flowers the tendency will be that they will melt. So use the fresh batch for flowers and the rest for basic stuff or piping.
Edna icon_smile.gif

KarenOR Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:27pm
post #13 of 22

Okay, I made a bunch of dog bones (like over 200) last night. I didn't have any meringue powder, so I did it with powdered egg whites. I made the royal on the thick side and made the bones pretty easily and quickly. However, they seem to be taking forever to dry. I thought I remembered royal drying faster. It's been about 12 hours, some of that time was under saran because I didnt' want any ants to find them. Granted, I'm in Oregon, so it's not dry here.
Is this a normal time frame? I have plenty of time for them to dry before the 17th, but I just want to make sure it's going in the right direction before I go get meringue and start over icon_smile.gif
Thanks!

rockytop Posted 6 May 2009 , 3:26pm
post #14 of 22

I would say that the saran wrap altered the drying time since the air could not get to the RI. I would let them air dry with no cover for another 12 hours . If they still no change cured then there was something wrong with the icing

idgalpal Posted 6 May 2009 , 6:29pm
post #15 of 22

Rockytop - If the drying time was longer than 12 hours you mentioned something could be wrong with the icing. Would it be too much water? Not enough powder sugar or meringue powder? Or a combination of all of the above? I'm a newbie, just made my first batch of ri to practice with , it's been WAY over 12 hours icon_smile.gif and some of my practice items aren't dry. I was just chalking it up to they were kind of thick, so maybe it just takes longer.

tonedna Posted 6 May 2009 , 10:05pm
post #16 of 22

Yeah, you cant cover the RI while it's drying, it needs to be airdried... If you cover it it will never dry properly and it can be brittle too.
Edna icon_smile.gif

KarenOR Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:17am
post #17 of 22

I took the saran off first thing in the morning and they seem to be drying now. I didnt' have it on very tightly but apparently enough to keep in some of the moisture. Hopefully, they'll survive and I won't need to do them again.

KarenOR Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:17am
post #18 of 22

I took the saran off first thing in the morning and they seem to be drying now. I didnt' have it on very tightly but apparently enough to keep in some of the moisture. Hopefully, they'll survive and I won't need to do them again.

KarenOR Posted 7 May 2009 , 12:27am
post #19 of 22

KarenOR Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:00am
post #20 of 22

I totally did not post that three times!

So, I was able to flip some of them without breaking. A lot of them broke and they are falling apart like chaulk does. I'm guessing perhaps I need to do it over with a new can of Meringue powder. Obviously, the egg white powder wasn't cutting it. I assume they are supposed to be a little shiny, no?

rockytop Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:04am
post #21 of 22

it should be more of a matte finish

tonedna Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:23am
post #22 of 22

Be careful when you make your royal icing..the grease can affect the outcome.. Too much water too. It can make it brittle..Is not supposed to be shiny..
Here is a video on RI

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%