Cake Was Sticky/soggy On Bottom Why?

Decorating By koppeskreations Updated 6 May 2009 , 1:59pm by koppeskreations

koppeskreations Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 7

I was just wondering I made a white sheet cake and froze it. When cutting it I noticed the bottom (or baked top) was sticking to the sheet almost like it was wet. The cake was cooked all the way through so I don't think I under baked it (or did I). When I froze it I covered it in Saran Wrap and I think I only froze that one for just a couple of days. Not sure if I left the saran wrap on until it was completely thawed or if I frosted it right away. Any one can answer this I would love you! Thanks so much

Nikki

6 replies
poohsmomma Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 7

Did you let it cool before you wrapped it? If not, condensation may have formed under the plastic wrap.

pouchet82 Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #3 of 7

What type of cake did you use?

koppeskreations Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 7

I use Duncan Hines cake mixes.

Also not sure if it was 100% cooled off or not. That can lead to condensation issues?

Thanks for the info into solving my mystery!

Nikki

pouchet82 Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 7

I would say make sure that it is completely cooled before you wrap and freeze

kakeladi Posted 5 May 2009 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 7

The usual reasons for the cake top to be sticky or mushy are:
Underbaking
placing on board while it is hot
Fzing while still very warm

Sometimes the WASC recipe does result in a cake w/sticky top. As long as it is not mushy but just a bit sticky there should not be a problem w/that.

koppeskreations Posted 6 May 2009 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you, Thank You all. I think it may of been a day when I was pushing the envelope on things and probably flipped the cake asap out of the oven. Lesson learnedicon_smile.gif

THanks
NIkki

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%