Royal Icing With Glycerin To Cover Cake??

Decorating By bakermommy4 Updated 5 May 2009 , 9:05pm by bakermommy4

bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 16

I am looking to try something different for a Mothers Day cake...due Saturday. I pulled out one of my old dusty books and came across a method of using royal icing with glycerin added to keep it soft.

Has anyone tried that...and if so, how do I make this work?? When I think about covering a cake in royal icing I think "ouch....trip to the dentist". icon_confused.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gificon_eek.gif

15 replies
bakermommy4 Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 16

ok...now i'm begging...pleasseee!!!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 16

happens in the uk all the time! looks great - apparently hard to get properly smooth though, i go for an unsmooth look!
xx

bakermommy4 Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 16

I do believe that is where this book is from, the techniques and designs are too. There are also tons of fruit cake recipes in this book. I just think the finish look is so elegant and clean. But what about flavor? Could I add flavor of choice to recipe?

brincess_b Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 16

i have never tried, but i dont see why not... just add some juice? or extract? although maybe that will mess with how it sets? it tastes really nice as it is anyway though. maybe ask over on the cookie forum, they use ri a lot more that most cake decorators.
xx

shanna_banana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanna_banana Posted 4 May 2009 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 16

I just saved this recipe about flavoring RI. Here is a link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7259-Tasty-Royal-Icing.html

As far as covering a whole cake with it...all I've heard on CC is no, no, no. But, since you are going to flavor it and add glycerin (I don't know a recipe for that) it might actually work.

Are you totally against fondant? If you work at it you can get a nice, clean look. That's what I am trying for my Mom's cake. I'm still extremely new at this but I'm pretty sure I can get it to look decent. It's all about the recipe, tools, and you tube videos. thumbs_up.gif Good luck!

bakermommy4 Posted 4 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 16

No shanna...not TOTALLY against it, just haven't quite perfected it yet. And I was just looking for something different. This cake is for my neighbors mom who has specifically asked for NO FONDANT on the cake...she thinks it tastes gross. I haven't converted many over to the fondant bandwagon. I'm not that good at working with it anyway.

KrisD13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrisD13 Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:45am
post #8 of 16

You may want to rethink this. It is going to take at least a week to cover this cake in Royal. First you cover the top, let it dry for a day. Sand it, yes, I said sand it, to smooth it properly. Then 2 opposite sides, let dry a day and sand. Then the last 2 sides, dry a day and sand.

And they advise 2 to 3 coats for proper coverage and to look right. Are you really sure you want to do this?

Not trying to discourage you, really. But this is labor intensive, and I think the reason it's not popular for most cakes anymore.

HTH
Kristine

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:49am
post #9 of 16

I dont like this way of covering a cake either. Most of the time is done over marzipan so the marzipan gives the almond flavor. The reason for the RI is so that it doesnt harden up like a rock. You can achieve the same look with crusting buttercream without so much hazzle. And it tastes a lot better.
Edna icon_smile.gif

bakermommy4 Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:03am
post #10 of 16

Thanks everyone...you surely have changed my mind. The cake I saw was covered in marzipan first tonedna...I assumed that was flavor because RI is kinda flavorless to me. But I don't have enough hours in a day to do all of the literal sanding...waiting...sanding...more waiting...just to wait some more. I just don't have the time...so off to Buttercream Island I go LOL.

tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:36am
post #11 of 16

lol..i don't think is worth either!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

bakermommy4 Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:41am
post #12 of 16

Edna...I've been following you on youtube like a stalker for the last couple of months LOL...and just found out that you are here!! YYYYAAAYYYY...You've helped me so much more than just the advice on this thread. Thanks so much for your tutorials!! Oh, and keep em coming babe!!

tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:47am
post #13 of 16

Awww..thanks, you are so sweet!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

brincess_b Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:28pm
post #14 of 16

if you have stiff ri then you can just apply it like bc, slap it on, use a scraper or spatula to smooth. ri is definatly a british thing rather than american thing, so you might need to try and find a uk site. i dont have that much experience with ri, and cant remember the names of the members that do. but maybe searching through the old posts would show who they are.
xx

TEE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TEE39 Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:47pm
post #15 of 16

My Parents are Jamaican and the only cake they like is the Jamaican black cake frosted with RI( glycerin added) . I've made it for my moms birthday . Black cake with RI( glycerin added) is also the traditional cake served at Jamaican weddings.

bakermommy4 Posted 5 May 2009 , 9:05pm
post #16 of 16

tee39, do you add any flavorings to the ri with glycerin. I always flavor the RI I use to flood cookies...would that be alright with the glycerin added? And is it really a long procedure...like coat, wait 24 hr to dry, coat again, wait 24 hr to dry...etc. I don't really have the time to pull that off.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%