Edible Image Question

Decorating By dchockeyguy Updated 5 May 2009 , 4:50am by nesweetcake

dchockeyguy Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 4

Hey all. I need some help.

I have agreed to help someone out with a cake that uses edible images. The person wants the cake covered in fondant. I have only put edible images on buttercream before, which worked just fine.

What I am wondering is how you get the edible image to affix itself to the fondant. Normally I use water (when possible) to glue things to fondant, but I'm afraid the moisture will make the ink on the image run.

Any help out there?

thanks!

Trevor

3 replies
Ivana24 Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:48pm
post #2 of 4

Here are the instructions, I hope you will help

FROSTING SHEET - HELPFUL HINTS

Remember, while printing you are adding a considerable amount of wet ink to the sheets.

FOR:     Removal of Sheets that seem to stick to backing sheet:

Please understand, there is NO single correct answer to this problem, since the climate conditions and humidity of each part of the country or even the world is different or changes seasonally.

IF IMAGES DO NOT PEEL EASILY FROM BACKING SHEETS:

After printing, leave the image out in normal room conditions for about 5 - 15 minutes. Drying time and methods depend entirely on the ambient humidity. In some cases the humidity may be so high that the frosting sheets will NOT easily release from the paper after the normal drying period, or will come apart in small pieces. In these conditions we recommend the following methods that have ALL worked successfully:

1.  Placing finished Frosting Sheet into a VERY COLD FREEZER will allow easy removal
after about 10 to 15 seconds, (NOT LONGER), providing the freezer is a DRY freezer and not a WET freezer. (This really works the best). You should remove the sheet immediately after taking it out from the freezer, or
2.  Use a blower type Hair dryer (or any other hot air supply) on the front and reverse sides of the backing sheet on high hot for 30-40 seconds. This method is very reliable and should solve your release problems, or
3.  Place in a warm dry oven at a low temperature, for about 1-2 minutes, or lay the sheet on a warm pan for a minute or two.
4.  It also works well if left in an Air-Conditioned area for a short time.
5.  Pull backing sheet over the Sharp edge of a table top.

Remember, the only reason the frosting sheets will not easily come off the backing sheet, is that the Frosting Sheet is still wet. THEY WILL RELEASE WHEN THEY ARE DRY.
Also, in high humidity areas, we recommend removing the Frosting Sheet from the ZipLock bag for sometime prior to printing, which may also help the drying process.

Working with Edible Image® Paper
This is a fairly easy process, but can sometimes be tricky.

Always make sure your EI is sealed tightly in its pouch. If it dries out, it will crumble to pieces and will obviously look horrible on your cake.

When removing it from the backing paper, hold the corners of the backing paper (dont touch the image itself) and rub back and forth against the edge of your table until the image comes loose. It works best when placing on fresh icing.

If your icing has crusted, a very light spray of water will moisten the icing enough for the image to stick.

Place image on cake and use tips of fingers (with gloves on, of course) to smooth air bubbles out of image. If you do not get all of the air bubbles out, it will come back to haunt you as the image dissolves into the icing.

If you are to ever freeze a cake with an edible image on it, make sure to thaw out in a cooler before bringing it to room temperature. If you go directly from freezer to room

MrsMabe Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 4

Why not glue it down with some buttercream in the corners? Just enough to secure it without making it noticeable to the taste.

nesweetcake Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:50am
post #4 of 4

I do the above, but when it comes to smoothing down have had trouble smudging the image, so I take a viva paper towel, lay on top, take my fondant smoother and gently smooth over from center out, from center out etc. Never a problem, works like a charm for me. good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%