Help...silver Paint

Decorating By tiggerjo Updated 5 May 2009 , 4:00pm by Katiekatiekatie

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:00pm
post #1 of 10

Have seen this before but for some reason, my search is not working. I am trying to make silver paint for tools. I tried the vodka, but wound up with paste, thined with more vodka, still not right. The pics i see on here are bright shiny silver. I must have these fondant tools done by Friday and must say I am getting a little nervous. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks icon_redface.gif

9 replies
korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:11pm
post #2 of 10

Great question.....
I would like to know too for a crawfish boil cake - need to paint the pot silver.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:17pm
post #3 of 10

um i dunno if this is going to help but yeh there is the silver dust that you could prob just dust straight on without the vodka or you can actually buy edible silver paint! i don't know if you can buy this near you but it might help.

I don't know if you are going to eat the tools or not but it's not good to eat something that is covered in it, but it is technically edible in like small amounts like details and it is non-toxic but you would have to check with the specific brand at your cake decorating center. HTH icon_smile.gif

Just if your interested a found a website where you can have a look at the product:

http://blossomsugarart.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_77

tiggerjo Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 10

If you figure it out, please let me know.

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:56pm
post #5 of 10

I did use silver "paint" I mixed silver luster dust and clear butter flavoring. It worked well until the fondant started to sweat. See my picture its not great but like I said it worked well until the fondant got mushy! OOPS! I learned 2 things... 1. Not to cover a cake until its room temp...2. Paint it even later.

The paint did go on well I made it between a paste and thin and I used the whole little container of luster dust for this cupcake liner.

Let's learn from each other!
Katie

dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:14pm
post #6 of 10

Lucks and Americolor both hve spray colors that i believe you can just paint directly onto an object as well.

Katiekatiekatie Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 10

Check out this cake....

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1322602

If that link work!! The silver is perfect!

tiggerjo Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 10

thank you all very much. katie, the link worked and am sure i can do it now. yeah!!!!

Katiekatiekatie Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:24pm
post #9 of 10

Good luck!!!

Post pictures!!!

Katie

Katiekatiekatie Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 10

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%