Help! Large Gumpaste Sunflowers Keep Breaking

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 5 May 2009 , 5:10pm by Cathy26

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 4 May 2009 , 9:11am
post #1 of 3

hi everyone, i bought the 105mm large plunger sunflower cutter for a wedding cake in august and am using it for an order on wednesday - cream fondant 10 square birthday cake with a "spray" of sunflowers, filler flowers and leaves on top. the only problem is that i brought my sunflowers out last night to practice arranging them and they all but one broke!! i was drying them on foil on top of cups to get a good shape but the base of them was still soft and all the petals just dropped off them.

had to make more and now im worried the same thing will happen when i got to arrange them. they are not on wires i was going to prop them up with balls of fondant behind and then fill in the gaps between flowers with leaves, etc.

does anyone have any tips on how they would arrange the flowers so as not to put too much pressure on them and support them so they dont break??

Thanks icon_sad.gif

2 replies
fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:06am
post #2 of 3

I dry mine on cardboard cake board with paper towels propped under each petal to achieve a curve. So you might try putting a paper towel between each flower and the aluminum.
Here is a picture of some fondant ones I did. My curve isn't as pronounced as yours but it will give you an idea.
LL

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 3

bump - any ideas on how to arrange the sunflowers so they are supported??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%