Red Velvet Cake Recipe For Wedding?

Baking By sandra05 Updated 29 Jun 2009 , 3:08pm by sandra05

sandra05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandra05 Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:47am
post #1 of 7

my nephew is getting married on July 25th. i need a wonderful recipe for red velvet cake for 50 guests. i would like to cover the cake in rolled fondant, what kind of frosting should i use for this cake that won't spoil
if left out of fridge? icon_cry.gif

6 replies
aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:50am
post #2 of 7

I use Wilton's recipe for Red Velvet. It's found on wilton.com. I also use the no-taste red gel color when I make it. I think it just makes enough for a 9x13 so you will have to use a couple batches of the recipe. I would suggest using a crusting BC recipe. Those usually hold up pretty well. I'm sure there are some on here in the recipe section.

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 4 May 2009 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 7

I too am looking for a wonderful red velvet cake recipe....after searching the internet for a coupls days, reading up on the recipe, I think I'm going to go with this recipe
http://www.cakemanraven.com/recipe.htm
as the creator seems to have become quite famous for the recipe.....I might make a few tiny tweaks to it though

mariela_ms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariela_ms Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:05pm
post #4 of 7

I tried the Sarah's Red Velvet cake here on CC and I loved it...But it seemed a bit dry. Then I tried the Cake Man Raven recipe. The main tweak I made was reduce a bit the oil and added more cocoa. Just my personal taste. And it was so delicious! icon_biggrin.gif GOOD LUCK! icon_biggrin.gif

sandra05 Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 7

thank you ladies for all your help, i'll let you know how it turns out. thumbs_up.gif

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 6 May 2009 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 7

This is the same receipe I received from my MIL a few years ago. Everytime I make it I get great ravs, people always comment on how moist it is. Good luck!!

sandra05 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 7

I'VE BEEN PRACTICING AND CAME UP WITH THIS VERSION. I WAS VERY HAPPY WITH THIS RECIPE FOR
THE PERFECT DENSE RED VELVET CAKE MIX
1 BOX DH RED VELVET MIX
1 C A.P. FLOUR
3/4 C SUGAR
1 TSP BAKING POWDER
1 STICK UNSALTED MELTED BUTTER
2/3 C BUTTERMILK
1 TSP VINEGAR
3 LARGE EGGS
PREHEAT OVEN AT 350. WITH THE WHISK ATTACHMENT I MIXED ALL DRY INGREDIENTS.THEN ADDED ALL THE REST. SPRAYED AND LINED MY PAN WITH PARCHMENT PAPER. BAKE THE CAKE FOR 50 MINUTES. TURNED OUT GREAT. ** WHEN MAKING BIGGER CAKES BAKE AT 325.** USE ONE THE OVEN'S EXTRA RACKS TO COOL CAKES.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%