Please Help, How To Achieve Ruffle For Brim Of Bonnet Cake?

Decorating By bourbs Updated 4 May 2009 , 7:29pm by bourbs

bourbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bourbs Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:21am
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm working on making a "bonnet" cake for Mothers Day.
I'm using the half of the "ball" pan for the top and a 10" cake for the bottom. I'd like to try to add some kind of ruffle around the edge the brim, but not sure how (newbie)
Also I am thinking of trying the MM fondant for the first time, any suggestion would be really helpful.

If anyone has any ideas I'd sure appreciate the input.

Thanks in Advance, Marie

4 replies
ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:32pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, i don't know about the hat, but i have been making alot of mm fondant, i use 1 bag of minature marshmallows, 1 bag or box of confectioners sugar 1 to 2 teaspoons of water for the marshmallows, micro mm's for 30 sec stir 30 then stir. if you're using a counter crisco it well, and your hands, just kneed twist pull and it will come out very smooth use crisco while mixing, before you wrap to put away, crease it then saran wrap, i usually make it in to 3 seperate pieces and flatten it down a bit, if it's cold you can put it in the micro but be care just a few seconds, and it will be really easy to work with. i think you'll like this it's easy and inexpensive. if you're going to make flowers and other things you can put some tylos or gum paste so it will dry a little faster, but it never dries compeletly hope you like it

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 4 May 2009 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 5

Are you planning for the 10 inch cake to be the brim? Or just support the brim? Because that will be a really thick brim!

I suggest making the brim from fondant mixed with tylose. Cut the circle, then shove the pointed end of ice cream cones under the fondant to give it the ruffly look. When the fondant has dried, remove the cones. Make sure you dust the bottom of the brim and/or the cones with cornstarch or powdered sugar to prevent sticking.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 4 May 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 5

I am not exactly sure what you are asking but I have a ruffle brim around the cradle pic that is my avatar. If that is the kind of ruffle you are looking for, I made mine with royal icing and a ruffle tip. Hope that helps.

bourbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bourbs Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you soooooooo much for taking the time out of your days to help me! I really really like your suggestions. I'm definately going to put them to use!

Again you are all so kind here, thank you
Marie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%