Cupcake Tower Catastrophe!!!!

Decorating By Ro40 Updated 4 May 2009 , 2:14pm by twindees

Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:55am
post #1 of 6

Well my worst nightmare came true on Saturday. I had 140 cupcakes to deliver and set up on a cupcake tower for a Bat-Mitzvah. I usually arrive about 1-1.5 hours before the event is to take place. I walk into the place and the manager shows me the table to set everything up on. I set it all up, make sure it looks perfect and tell him I am all done. He says that the table needs to be moved. Why, I ask, didn't you tell me this before I set everything up. He says no problem, the table has wheels. Well, we begin to move it (I'm sure you know where this is going) and the leg collapses and the entire tower and all 140 cupcakes hit the floor. I thought I was going to vomit; I never knew my body could shake the way it was. He had his staff pick up all the cupcakes and move them to the kitchen and then wanted me to scrape off the frosting, make more and refrost them. I said no, that I am not serving cupcakes that fell on the floor. It is still my name and reputation. I waited for the client to show up and we both explained what happened. Thank goodness she was completely understanding. I told her I will shred her check, since she didn't get a product she owes me nothing. The banquet manager, thankfully, said he will pay for the cupcakes and the repair of my tower. Has anything like this happened to anyone? Is there a way to remedy this or just say sorry to the client. I did make sure the place found her replacement desserts. Would love to hear how you all would handle this.

5 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:32am
post #2 of 6

I think you and the manager both handled it quite well (well, once you convinced him he couldn't serve cupcakes from the floor! icon_lol.gif ).

txsteph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txsteph Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:17am
post #3 of 6

I agree with indydebi .. good job

Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:40am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for saying so. I was just wondering if anyone usually brings extra cupcakes or icing with them. This has never happened before, and I hope it never does again, but it made me think I'm not prepared for such an incident.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 6

omg. when i read that my heart dropped. am sorry for what happened.

twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 6

Thank God the client was understanding.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%