Which Pans To Buy....please Help

Decorating By Normita Updated 4 May 2009 , 5:49am by en-passant

Normita Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 22

I am wanting to buy some good cake pans that will last forever...well, at least for a long time. I want to buy both squares and circle pans. I have heard conflicting information on Fat Daddios. Any suggestions on what to spend my hard earning money???

21 replies
Normita Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:05am
post #2 of 22

Heeeelllo anyone icon_sad.gif

bisbqueenb Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:20am
post #3 of 22

I have the FD some in square and some round. I have not had any problems with them and like using them. I also have some 30+ year old ML and some older Wilton that work just fine! I think the secret is pan preparation not necessarily the pan itself! All of my 'assorted' pans have nice straight sides, but some of the Wilton do not. Rounding out my 'collection' are some Rockwood pans....VERY old...very heavy and still working hard!

Normita Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:41am
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisbqueenb

I have the FD some in square and some round. I have not had any problems with them and like using them. I also have some 30+ year old ML and some older Wilton that work just fine! I think the secret is pan preparation not necessarily the pan itself! All of my 'assorted' pans have nice straight sides, but some of the Wilton do not. Rounding out my 'collection' are some Rockwood pans....VERY old...very heavy and still working hard!

What is ML? I have heard that the FD square pans do not have such sharp edges, is this true?

ptanyer Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #5 of 22

ML = Magic Line, FD = Fat Daddios

I have FD's in squares - 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18" I love them. I don't have any ML's so can't comment about them. I used my FD's today making cakes to freeze for Mother's Day (getting an early start). Had absolutely no problems with them at all.

I have some Wilton round pans that I bought when I was starting out and could use coupons at local craft stores. But don't buy any cake pans that will stack inside each other. The sides aren't a true straight side and will give you hours of work trying to straighten out your cake sides. But one of these days I plan to replace the Wilton pans with FD's in round sizes.

Hope that helps!

__Jamie__ Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:55am
post #6 of 22

Listen very carefully. No matter what anyone says about Fat Daddio and Magic Line being equally as good, do not listen. I currently have a set of both (due to a shipping error), and will shortly upload some pics to show you just how superior Magic Line is. The cakes come out perfectly square. No other pans, and that includes Fat Daddio will give you sharp corners right out of the pan. Magic Line, hands down, A #1, no arguments about it. Be back in a bit with those pics! icon_smile.gif And I'm not slamming Fat Daddio's, but if you want to save time and ebergy getting your square cakes iced square, start off right with Magic Line. Product endorsement done! icon_biggrin.gif

rockytop Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:01am
post #7 of 22

I have both wilton and FD . I perfer FDs I dont have any MLs so cant comment on them ,as far as FD they are a great pan no problems here.

HTH
Roger thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:16am
post #8 of 22

Side by side...FD on left, ML on right...and then there is a pic of the inside of the ML. Can't beat it. thumbs_up.gif
LL

__Jamie__ Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:18am
post #9 of 22

Inside of ML pan.

Oh...I took these outside because the light inside is terrible for pics right now.
LL

xstitcher Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:24am
post #10 of 22

I was in the same position as you last year Normita. I did the same thing as you and asked on CC. The general consensus I found was to buy ML. I haven't regretted the purchase yet (well except for the duty I had to pay to ship them to Canada last year icon_lol.gif ).

I think the most popular ones here on CC are ML followed by FD although lots of folks do have the Wilton ones they purchased when they 1st started out.

destinyrn Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:46am
post #11 of 22

Thanks for the comparison pics Jamie, it really showed the difference in the pans. I too bought a bunch of round Wilton pans with the coupons. I will be purchasing the square ML pans.

__Jamie__ Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:54am
post #12 of 22

Truth be told....all of my round pans are still Wilton...I just refuse to bother with the square ones. icon_smile.gif

GI Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:01am
post #13 of 22

This is an excellent supplier for Magic Line pans. I have ML and I have Wilton. I always forgo the Wilton to get the ML sharp edge right out of the pan. I have NOT had to level a cake yet using the ML pan.

(unless I just wanted to try it icon_wink.gif shh, don't tell.)

This place has excellent pricing and shipping, too. Fast turnaround service. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

http://cooksdream.com/

Baking and Cake Decorating Supplies Ultimate Baker 4917 E. 2nd Ave Spokane Valley WA 99212. Toll Free: 1-(866)-285-COOK (2665) International 1 509 954 5753

aquamom Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:09am
post #14 of 22

So glad I saw this thread. They have the MLs at some of the cake decorating stores in this area and I had hear so much about the FD pans. I wasn't sure which ones to get.

_Jaime_ thanks for posting the pix. That was really helpful.

I plan on starting a collection of of MLs.

xstitcher Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:10am
post #15 of 22

Hey GI, that's who I ordered from too. They were one of few that would ship to Canada. Awesome customer service to boot! Since I'm now back here I have also ordered from Amazon as well (especially during the 4 for 3 promo)

margaretb Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:26am
post #16 of 22

I'm pretty sure I saw Magic Line on the Golda's Kitchen website in Canada.

__Jamie__ Posted 4 May 2009 , 3:32am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

This is an excellent supplier for Magic Line pans. I have ML and I have Wilton. I always forgo the Wilton to get the ML sharp edge right out of the pan. I have NOT had to level a cake yet using the ML pan.

(unless I just wanted to try it icon_wink.gif shh, don't tell.)

This place has excellent pricing and shipping, too. Fast turnaround service. Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

http://cooksdream.com/

Baking and Cake Decorating Supplies Ultimate Baker 4917 E. 2nd Ave Spokane Valley WA 99212. Toll Free: 1-(866)-285-COOK (2665) International 1 509 954 5753

icon_lol.gif Funny that you post the link to that particular supplier when I mentioned that I had a shipping screw up..heh heh.

BUT...very execellent service! They ate half the cost on the overnight shipping for my ML's that I needed the next day! I highly recommend this supplier, accidents happen, but I will continue to order from them!

en-passant Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:28am
post #18 of 22

Magic Line without a doubt. I have a few Wilton, a whole lotta ML and one FD.

The FD is the last pan I reach for, always. I'll use the Wilton ones before I use the FD. I hate it.

The only thing I love about Fat Daddio's is the name.

Thanks for the line to Cook's Dream, GI. I need some more ML pans and am looking for the best prices. Do you think they are cheapest here?

Normita Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:41am
post #19 of 22

OMG...thanks everyone for the responses!!! I never imagined that I would get back so many responses. And to think that FD was the brand to get...I had never heard of ML. Do you guys think that purchasing the round FD and the square ML will be ok....or just go ahead and buy all ML?? I have some round FD and they are fine....but if ML are better, sure will like to try. As far as price, is the website that someone posted on this thread the best price out there for ML??

en-passant Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:44am
post #20 of 22

I would buy all ML.

xstitcher Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:44am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by en-passant

Thanks for the line to Cook's Dream, GI. I need some more ML pans and am looking for the best prices. Do you think they are cheapest here?

They do have really good prices there and last time I ordered they also had different discounts depending on how much you purchased.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/ has some good prices too.

as does fondant source (and if you enter cakecentral in the coupon code you get 10% off)

and sometimes you can get fantastic deals on amazon as well (and they have a 4 for 3 promo going for some of the pans right now as well).

These are just some of the sites that I visit but there may be somewhere else that is cheaper as I haven't checked in a while.

en-passant Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:49am
post #22 of 22

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%