Help! Smudges On Chocolate

Decorating By reneejoy2001 Updated 4 May 2009 , 7:05am by aliciag829

reneejoy2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneejoy2001 Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 2

I'm making chocolate shoes from a mold and after I cleaned up the edges (with a double layer of plastic gloves on) I had smudged the chocolate. How do I make it shiny again?

The only idea I can think of at the moment is putting it back in the mold and heat the outer chocolate with something warm (hair dryer, holding a hot warm towel over it...). But I don't want to risk ruining it even more. I have to make 3 more and I'm sure I'll have the same problem with the rest and I have to have the done tomorrow evening.

1 reply
aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:05am
post #2 of 2

The only advice I can give you is to try handling your chocolate as little as possible in the future. If I am using good chocolate, I always temper it first. If you're using the cheaper "chocolate", like merkin or the wilton melting discs, I would suggest adding a little bit of paraffin when you're melting it. These 2 things help it keep its shine better. I wouldn't suggest exposing it to heat once it's already molded. I don't really know what to tell you as far as fixing it if it's already molded and smudged.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%