Silver Cloud Extracts

Decorating By Kimmers971 Updated 6 May 2009 , 8:37pm by bonniebakes

Kimmers971 Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone used this brand before? Your thoughts? I purchased 2 flavors at the MD show this weekend and am very disappointed thumbsdown.gif with the lemon and key lime. I was trying to use them to flavor a white cake and used so much lime to even get a hint of flavor (slight hint) and also a lot of lemon to get some lemon flavor. That isn't normal. I usually buy Barilla brand extracts in the supermarket and their lemon is so much more intense (and cheaper) than your brand. As for the key lime, I have only tried key lime oil before so I can't compare another brand of extract. But still for the amount I had to use I'd think I'd get much more flavor.

I also purchased the chocolate extract but have yet to try it. I'm hoping I didn't waste my money icon_sad.gif

8 replies
bonniebakes Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:03pm
post #2 of 9

Kimmers - I also bought the chocolate and the lemon. I'm sorry to hear that you were disappointed!!!

I've tried their almond before, and I was happy with it, so I bought several flavors when I was at the show yesterday. The lemon and the chocolate smelled so good! How much lemon did you actually use in the cake recipe (so I know where to start)?

galliesway Posted 4 May 2009 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 9

I must gotten a bad bottle of the chocolate because it was just gross. Hopefully more people will have better opinion. Maybe I did something wrong??

Kelley

Kimmers971 Posted 4 May 2009 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 9

I ended up using almost 1/4 of the bottle in a white cake mix (8-9" pan). And almost 1/2 bottle of the lime! I use Barilla brand lemon all the time (easy to find in the supermarket) and it is a much better quality and much cheaper. I wish they had lime. Usually to flavor a white cake I use a tablespoon or 2 at most to get the strength that I like.

I didn't try the chocolate yet and I'm afraid to icon_confused.gif

I wrote to Silver Cloud about this and they are going to check into the lot they sold at the show and get back to me. But I'm not holding any hope on a refund/replacement. I just lost the $$$ and am not happy.

bonniebakes Posted 4 May 2009 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 9

Kimmers - will you let us know what you find out, please?

Kimmers971 Posted 4 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 9

Yes, I'll keep you all posted. I only spent $40 at their booth but that $40 could've gone to better use had I known the quality wasn't up to par.

bonniebakes Posted 4 May 2009 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 9

I spent $40 also... I bought another almond, because I've used it before and I liked it (and I didn't need to add a whole lot).

I bought lemon, chocolate and pistachio over the weekend...

LisaR64 Posted 4 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #8 of 9

I have the chocolate. I didn't care for it much, but hubby liked it. I guess it's just a matter of taste.

bonniebakes Posted 6 May 2009 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 9

I just used my lemon to bake some cookies. I only used a teaspoon, and the cookies do have a lemon flavor. It's subtle, but it's recognizable, and I only used 1 teaspoon for the whole batch...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%