Bavarian Creme

Decorating By ilucy Updated 25 May 2009 , 4:50am by PinkZiab

ilucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilucy Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #1 of 5

I was wanting to know about this type of filling so I'll give you my questions

Thanks to everyone for the help!!!

1. It will be for a 2 tier cake w/ dowels is this filling to soft for this type of cake ? ( I know it is a soft filling but is there a thicker one?)

2 what cake flavors are good w/ this type of filling?

3. will it go w/ choc. bc icing and granche?

4 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 5

I always torte the cake when I use Bavarian cream. That way I have more layers of filling that are not so deep that they're too slippery. It should work fine.

Bavarian cream isn't my favorite flavor in a cake, but I think it works well with chocolate. I've used Bailey's Irish Cream Bavarian cream that is very nice with almond pound cake. I'm using Amaretto Bavarian cream in my daughter's wedding cake with almond pound cake. I just like it better when it's flavored.

I think it'd work fine with chocolate buttercream and ganache.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 5

#1. As long as you have a sturdy dam, pretty much any filling will work (some of the more liquidy-type fillings may require a smearing of buttercream on the preceeding cake layer to retard it from soaking into the cake and causing a mush collapse)

#2. IMO, any cake is good with it but it melds best(again, this is IMO) with any non-citrus cake.

#3. It will most definitely go with choc b/c and ganache!

ilucy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilucy Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:12am
post #4 of 5

thanks for the help on this filling

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 May 2009 , 4:50am
post #5 of 5

Here are my core authentic bavarian cream recipes. They set up firm due to the gelatin and they're DELICIOUS!

Bavarois a la creme anglaise (Bavarian Cream)

The classic presentation is to mold this on its own in a fluted mold and served with fresh fruit or a sauce of your choice. It's also the classic filling for a charlotte royale, but can be used as a filling in many cakes and desserts.

2.5 gelatin sheets (you can google to find equivalent dry gelatin measures)
250 ml milk
100 grams granulated sugar
Vanilla bean, split and scraped
3 egg yolks
250 ml heavy cream

1. Bloom the gelatin in cold water
2. put the milk and roughly half the sugar, and the vanilla bean and scrapings in a saucepan and bring to a boil
3. whisk together the remaining sugar and egg yolks (do not do this too early as the sugar will dry the yolks egg and your product will not be smooth)
4. temper the egg mixture with 1/3 of the boiling milk
5. combine the two mixtures and place over medium heat stirring CONSTANTLY. Be especially attentive to the corners of the pan as the eggs will coagulate there first if you are not careful
6. Cook the mixture to nappant (when it coats the back of a spoon and drawing your finger through leaves a distinct line)
7. immediately remove from heat, squeeze the excess water from the gelatin leave and whisk into the custard
8. Strain through a chinoise or other fine strainer
10. Cool over an ice bath stirring occasionally as it cools to promote even cooling. The custard will resemble a loose jam at this point.
11. Whip the cream to a soft peak and fold into the cooled custard.
Mold or use as a filling however desired, but it should be given a full 24 hours in the refrigerator to set before serving.

------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the classic filling for a charlotte russe, but can be used in a multitude of molded desserts and as a filling for many cakes and desserts.

Bavaroise aux fruits (Fruit Bavarian)
2.5 sheet gelatin
250 grams fruit puree
100 grams granulated sugar
250 grams heavy cream

1. Bloom the gelatin in cold water
2. Heat half the fruit puree with all fo the sugar in a saucepan (no need to boil, just heat it through). remove from heat
3. Squeeze excess water from gelatin and whisk into fruit puree
4. Mix in remaining puree and set aside to cool. Mixture may be cooled in the fridge or over an ice bath, but should be stirred often during cooling to ensure mixture sets evenly
5. whip the cream to soft peaks
6. When the mixture has thicken to a loose jam consistency (not completely set) fold in the whipped cream until just combined

Mold as desired or chill and pipe out when needed.

Again, this is best served after 24 hours in the refrigerator.

PM me if you have questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%