Freezing Cake Layer Question

Decorating By alaskagirl3 Updated 4 May 2009 , 5:09am by alaskagirl3

alaskagirl3 Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 5

Do cake layers have to be completely cool before freezing? I froze some recently for an event in 2 weeks and they were fairly warm not cooled and now I'm worried I'm going to have to redo them - any advice? Has anyone froze them right out of the oven?

4 replies
cylstrial Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:41am
post #2 of 5

You know, I froze one that had not completely cooled a few weeks ago, and it kind of shrunk up in the freezer. I'm guessing because of the moisture. Of course that won't effect the taste of the cake. So really you just need to look at them and see if they will work for you.

cylstrial Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:43am
post #3 of 5

I guess that I should add, I freeze cakes all the time and I've never had the shrinking problem before. I've always let the cakes cool completely, which is why I think the shrinking came from the warm cake.

Good luck!!

cake1119 Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:53am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskagirl3

Do cake layers have to be completely cool before freezing? I froze some recently for an event in 2 weeks and they were fairly warm not cooled and now I'm worried I'm going to have to redo them - any advice? Has anyone froze them right out of the oven?

I wrap and freeze my cakes straight from the oven, still piping hot, and they come out wonderful. They are so moist from capuring all the steam I suppose. I will add to let it thaw out completly before frosting to help prevent moisture build up. Hope this helps.

alaskagirl3 Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:09am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone for the responses. Just one more question. I took a look at the cakes today and while they are frozen they seem a little bit soft (if I pressed hard enough I could probably get a thumb mark on it) could that be the moisture factor? They've been in the freezer long enough to be rock frozen by now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%