Structures For Larger Sculpted Cakes, Animals.

Decorating By PassiFlora Updated 3 May 2009 , 11:00am by deliciously_decadent

PassiFlora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PassiFlora Posted 3 May 2009 , 10:28am
post #1 of 2

I've been planning to try an upright sculpted cake for a while, and I need some serious advice on what the best way is to hold up an animal's head. I mean specifically animals that have snouts that extend out a bit and are at least partially upright.

Example: http://www.stellarcakeco.com/StiflerCake3QuarterSM.jpg

Bonus points if you've got a good method that doesn't involve hard to construct items. I really am just a complete dummy with all that wood building, pvc pipe linking business and I'd end up with a headless wonder. icon_rolleyes.gif

Would doing the head in rice krispies be relatively stable if it was attached well or even pierced with a dowel all the way through the cake? I'm worried the fondant may make it too heavy.

Thank you in advance!

1 reply
deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 3 May 2009 , 11:00am
post #2 of 2

use styro and carve the shapes or RKT to mold them cover them in fondant , i personally would do both i would start with a styro ball and use RKT's to make the rest of the features, cover in fondant and decorate leave to dry on a couple of skewers in a cake dummy (thats how i leave my stuff to dry) attach a dowel to a cake board in the spot the head will go by screwing it up the the base so it is solidly stable. do you cake as the body, stack and carve witht he support dowel in place. cover in fondant and decorate, attach the head to the support dowel that is sticking out with ri or fondant glue and voila!! its light so it wont droop it hjas pre dried so it wont sag it is already decorated so you dont need to much around with it escept to attach it and tidy up the join icon_smile.gif hope that is as fuss free as you hoped!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%