Airbrushing Cakes!

Decorating By Confectioners_Conundrum Updated 4 May 2009 , 12:31pm by Rhonda19

Confectioners_Conundrum Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:20am
post #1 of 8

I just got my first Airbrusher, with all the gel colors and everything. I know the colors have to be thinned, but I don't know what to use to thin it and how much to thin it. Any idea? No instructions came with the colors for this.

7 replies
CristyInMiami Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:49am
post #2 of 8

What brand is it? Mine came with paint also and no instructions but I never thinned my paint and it worked fine

Maybe I did it wrong?

I thought it was only my brand that came with no instructions and I made a mess due to it!! icon_redface.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:52am
post #3 of 8

Thin it with vodka or some other clear alcohol-like liquid; rum, gin, everclear, lemon extract, etc.

I also invested in airbrush colors (liquid) about $2 for 2 ounces and it's much easier then having to thin every time you use it.

bobwonderbuns Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:57am
post #4 of 8

No no no no no no -- NEVER use gel colors in your airbrush, even thinned out ones or you'll clog the darn thing and be lucky if you can get it clean again. Use airbrush colors which are specially designed for use in airbrushes and don't need to be thinned out. Even then be careful, I just had an incident with my airbrush where I thinned out AIRBRUSH color (don't ask) and the vodka clogged my airbrush to the point where I nearly ruined it. Thankfully much prayer and soaking and scrubbing saved it, but remember, those bad boys are expensive to replace!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Confectioners_Conundrum Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 8

The airbrusher box says "Airbrush Compressor Piston type" There is no brand name or anything on it, I bought it new from The colors say, "Americolor" and it also says "Sheen Airbrush Color Kit" I also got the regular colors that are not sheen. But, since it says they are "Airbrush Color Kits" do you think they need to be thinned? They seem pretty thin already...I just don't wanna mess up my system straight outta the box! icon_surprised.gif

Lee15 Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 8

No - if it's airbrush colors, you do not need to thin them. They are at the correct consistency for the airbrush.

Loucinda Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:24pm
post #7 of 8

Americolor airbrush colors have a BLACK lid on them. If that is what you have, no need to thin them, use them just as they are.

Rhonda19 Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:31pm
post #8 of 8

Wow... am I ever glad I ran across this thread! My hubby found a small airbrush for me and is giving it to me for mother's day. I have been wanting one for quite awhile, but they were soooo expensive that never thought I would get one.

It's supposed to come with 4 or 5 airbrush colors, but not really sure. I will however to make sure after reading this thread to use only airbrush colors!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%