Heating Core Disaster

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 4 May 2009 , 12:26pm by sweetcravings

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:20am
post #1 of 5

I was baking a cake tonight and decided to use the heating core so i prepared the pan added my cake mix stuck it in the oven set my timer and went on my merry way came back to check on the cake and the heating core had floated up to the top of my cake and was baking on top of it kinda side ways half baked into the cake i thought OMGosh what can i do, so i let it finish baking took it out of the oven let it cool a while pulled the heating core off, no wonder this thing floated up to the top of my cake i forgot to pour cake batter into the thing icon_redface.gif so now heres this sunken in place where the core had been laying Thank goodness i always fill my pans to full so by the time i leveled it the sink hole was gone Bye bye, like my brian isl icon_razz.gif

4 replies
sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:30am
post #2 of 5

Sorry to hear of your troubles..been there..done that. I'm glad you were able to fix the problem.
I don't use the big heating core because of the big hole it makes. I use flower nails instead. They are easily put in an taken out.
Good save!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:31am
post #3 of 5

Glad it was an easy fix!

I use flower nails too.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 5

I used a flower nail for the first time the other day, and the cake sunk in around the nail. Is this normal? The cake rose like it should have along the edges, but toward the middle it sunk back in.
(I was making a 10" WASC.)
It actually seemed to take longer to cook.
How did I screw this up??????

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

I used a flower nail for the first time the other day, and the cake sunk in around the nail. Is this normal? The cake rose like it should have along the edges, but toward the middle it sunk back in.
(I was making a 10" WASC.)
It actually seemed to take longer to cook.
How did I screw this up??????

No that's not normal. My cake rises evenly, in fact the cake will often cook up over the nail, so you can only see a tiny tip of it. Maybe it was the recipe??? I've read on here people having problems with the WASC recipe, maybe you should look for a thread on that. It has something to do with it being extremely moist almost doughy..i dunno..just quessing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%