mandy1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandy1978 Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:57am
post #1 of 15

How do I get my frosting so smooth?

14 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 15

Practice practice, I still have troubles .make sure your icing is not real thick, i think theres a tutral here some where

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:51am
post #3 of 15

I smooth with a hot, bent spatulla. There are lots of ways to smooth... Some use a bench scraper...some paper towel and a fondant smoother...some typing paper...

Jen icon_smile.gif

Angie1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angie1968 Posted 3 May 2009 , 4:36am
post #4 of 15

I use the Viva paper towels. They have always worked for me. Be sure to let the icing crust a little while before beginning to smooth.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 15

First of all, you've got to start with a great icing recipe...I think Indydebi's is the best. It is soooooooooo smooth, and spreads like a dream. It crusts nicely, and then I use the VIVA method to make sure it looks good.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 15

can you guide me towards her receipe i'm looking for a butter cream that is not so sweet, i've tried the wilton and it's way to sweet, i had some from a bakery that is wonderful, you could eat it with a spoon. Thanks

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:21pm
post #7 of 15
bakermommy4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakermommy4 Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohsmomma

First of all, you've got to start with a great icing recipe...I think Indydebi's is the best. It is soooooooooo smooth, and spreads like a dream. It crusts nicely, and then I use the VIVA method to make sure it looks good.

I second that motion...it's all in the icing recipe. If you've got an airy icing you'll never be able to smooth out the air once on the cake. Well, I mean for me, I can never smooth out air with a hot spatula, bench scraper....blowtorch...sandpaper...lol...that's just me though...i guess i'm just not that skilled yet.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:33pm
post #9 of 15

This is how I do it..

Edna icon_smile.gif

grammynan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammynan Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:35pm
post #10 of 15

In a pinch I've used computer paper to smooth icing instead of Viva paper towels (after it crusted)! I was surprised how well it worked!

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 15

I've found parchment paper and a fondant smoother work well, once the icing has crusted.

kandu001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kandu001 Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:04pm
post #12 of 15

I love the viva paper towel method. I used to use parchment paper, but found that it doesn't absorbe any grease, so it would sometimes stick or slide, but viva is wonderful!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:10pm
post #13 of 15

Don't forget.........there's always the Melvira Method, too! icon_biggrin.gif

Just check out the Articles section if you're not sure about of what I'm speaking.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:52pm
post #14 of 15

Thanks for the receipt, i start my class tonight i'm so excited, i've been practicing alot. i like edna's videos, is there templets i can print like her daisy on this site?

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 5 May 2009 , 5:15pm
post #15 of 15

You can find those templets on the wilton books.. but you can try and make your own. Is a circle and you can make the lines by folding itin halfs until you get all the lines you want.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%