Fondant Question Please Help

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 4 May 2009 , 12:56pm by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:39am
post #1 of 6

I want to make a cake for some friends of mine at work its a baby shower cake and they dont want anything fancy just a sheet cake its for a girl,
I want to make fondant accent pieces im making some really cute flowers to go in the corners and i want to use cut out letters as well the last time i did a cake with fondant and closed it up the fondant got really soft even though i had let it dry for 2 weeks in advance how can i keep this from happening i wont be at the actual shower im leaving it in the office and there going to place it on the table or i could add the pieces at that time what can i do ?? so the pieces wont get soft it will be in a store bought container that seals really well. Thanks to everyone for your help

5 replies
aliciag829 Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:42am
post #2 of 6

Have you tried adding a small amount of Wilton GumTex to your fondant? That usually works for me.

cakebaker1957 Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:57am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciag829

Have you tried adding a small amount of Wilton GumTex to your fondant? That usually works for me.

Will you be able to put into an airtight container? I think what happens is that the fondant gets moisture from the cake even if i dont put them directly on the cake the still get soft but i will try the gum tex i would hate to have this happen again

khkakes Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 6

I have better luck with Tylose but whenever I've put fondant accents on buttercream they soften up. The kids like it because it makes them easier to eat!

aliciag829 Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:02am
post #5 of 6

I haven't had any problems putting my cakes with fondant in plastic containers. I use the Sterilite brand one. No problems there.

But the question is...do you refrigerate your cakes with fondant accents while they're in the airtight containers? I would think that would seal the moisture in rather than keep it out because of condensation, but I could be wrong. Why not try using fillings that don't need to be refrigerated and just putting it in a cardboard cake box?

Or am I misunderstanding what you asked, and you are only putting the accents in the airtight containers? If that's the case, then yes, fondant accents made with GumTex are fine to be put in airtight containers, but I would probably let them dry uncovered first before putting them in.

Sorry I'm tired and I can't comprehend anything right now. LOL but I hope I answered your question! icon_biggrin.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciag829

I haven't had any problems putting my cakes with fondant in plastic containers. I use the Sterilite brand one. No problems there.

But the question is...do you refrigerate your cakes with fondant accents while they're in the airtight containers? I would think that would seal the moisture in rather than keep it out because of condensation, but I could be wrong. Why not try using fillings that don't need to be refrigerated and just putting it in a cardboard cake box?

Or am I misunderstanding what you asked, and you are only putting the accents in the airtight containers? If that's the case, then yes, fondant accents made with GumTex are fine to be put in airtight containers, but I would probably let them dry uncovered first before putting them in.

No i dont refrigerate my cakes its buttercream icing with fondant accent pieces, last time i did one i really sealed up the cake tight so no air could get to it and wham the fondant started looking wet and wilty, probably took 3hrs to do this but im thinking it was from mosture inside the box?

Sorry I'm tired and I can't comprehend anything right now. LOL but I hope I answered your question! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%