"turned" Butter Cream Help For A Newbie :-)

Decorating By Snotface14 Updated 3 May 2009 , 1:19am by Snotface14

Snotface14 Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:02am
post #1 of 5

Hi let me just say that I only discovered this site yesterday and neglected my poor son most of the say as I just couldn't drag myself away...fully addicted in less than 24 hours can't be bad going!!!

Anyway something that's been bugging me for a while now is I find that when ever I'm piping with butter cream the heat of my hands seem to make the BC in the bag go "funny looking" it's like it seperates???

It's really annoying me and I don't know what to do to stop it, I use a full butter BC as Crisco isn't available here in NZ.

Thanks heaps in advance

4 replies
tiggy2 Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:10am
post #2 of 5

I keep two bags going of the same color. When one starts to get soft I lay it on a ice pack and switch to the other one. I just keep rotating them on the ice pack.

patticakesnc Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:11am
post #3 of 5

Try to see if you can order Hi Ratio shortening online. If not you can do a little trick where you put ice in a large bowl and lay a cake pan on top of the ice. Lay the bag down in the pan when you aren't piping at the moment to firm it back up.

patticakesnc Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:13am
post #4 of 5

By the way welcome to CC. It is addictive and I know how your son feels. My kids think my face looks like the screen of my laptop since that is all they ever see.

Snotface14 Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:19am
post #5 of 5

I'll certainly givve that a go this weekend, and yeah Callum seems to get used to it he knows Mum goes a little crazy when she discovers something new but he also realises that his job as official taster of new things is about to get so much better!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%