Masonite Boards

Decorating By cylstrial Updated 4 May 2009 , 12:52am by cylstrial

cylstrial Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 9

Hi there!

Does anyone know how much weight a masonite board can hold? I have used them several times, but I've never used it for a 4 tier cake. I'm just wondering if it will be able to support the weight of the cake.

Thanks!

8 replies
cylstrial Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 9

I guess I should tell you that it's 1/4" thick.

Thanks again!!

poohsmomma Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 9

I haven't a clue, but here's a bump.

Eme Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 9

I used a masonite board for a 5 tier cake..... as long as it doesn't have much flex shouldn't be an issue. Mine was a 1/4" board and didn't flex at all (notice this is in past tense - never got the board back icon_mad.gif )

HTH

cylstrial Posted 2 May 2009 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 9

Eme -- thanks for the info! (Sorry, you never got your board back). Were your cakes all 4 inches tall? It sounds like I shouldn't have any trouble since you had a 5 tier cake. The board will be brand new so I don't think that it will flex at all.

Thanks again!

Eme Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:03am
post #6 of 9

All tiers were 5" - you should have no problems!

pattycakesnj Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:09am
post #7 of 9

Don't they come in different thicknesses? Get a fairly thick one and you should be fine

aligotmatt Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:20am
post #8 of 9

I use masonite boards for delivery. So I have whatever size for the cake and the put the rougher side up and put the cake on that, it keeps it from slipping and makes it easier to carry the cake in - I've done it up to 5 tiers. So for the base of your cake, I would assume it would do just fine.

Additionally, I don't know if you cut wood or have the space to do it, but a big sheet of masonite is $10 and change at home depot. I buy it and draw on it and use a jigsaw to cut it out. The saw was like $20 I think at home depot, and has saved me SO MUCH money on buying pre-cut boards.

cylstrial Posted 4 May 2009 , 12:52am
post #9 of 9

Thanks Eme! And Aligotmatt -- I didn't know that you could buy masonite and cut it out yourself. That's pretty cool! And I've never used the rough side either, so I'll have to do that. It makes sense that the cake would be more stable.

Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%