DIY Cookie Board

Baking By linedancer Updated 16 May 2010 , 2:03pm by Spectra

linedancer Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 31

I have been thinking a lot about how to make rolling cookies easier. I like to roll it between parchment paper and chill it rolled. I have been using dowel rods to help control the thickness. I looked at the dobord, but hated to fork over the money. I also could not picture how I could still roll on parchment with it.

Well, here is what I came up with. It costs very little, is easy to make and works like a charm IMHO thumbs_up.gif
I went to my local home improvement store, bought a 2 ft by 2 ft, 1/2 inch piece of plywood. I also purchased two 1/4 in square dowel rods. I asked the guy at the store to cut the plywood 15 3/4 (width of parchment paper plus 1/8 in for ease, plus 1/2 in for the width of the two dowels) and left the length at 24 inches. I brought my prizes home, washed them up. I cut the dowel rods to 24 inches, attached them to the plywood with a very thin layer of liquid nails. Let everything dry overnight. I covered the resulting board in clear contact. You could probably leave the wood bare or stain it, but I wanted to be able to wipe it off. The dough never touches the wood because of the parchment paper.

I used it today and just loved it. I put rubbermaid shelf liner under it so it didn't slip. I used the large wilton fondant roller as a pin. I have always hated it to roll fondant, but it worked great with my board. Thank goodness I found a use for it!!

Here are some pics.
LL
LL
LL

30 replies
sweeteecakes Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:56am
post #2 of 31

That so cool! I want one so bad. I think I will try a diy board until I am ready to buy one. Thanks for sharing.

Lcubed82 Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:27am
post #3 of 31

Nice job! I got a dobord from my dear hubby for valentines day, but this one looks great too!

chilz822 Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:28am
post #4 of 31

Linedancer... love it!
Thumbs-up and high-five!

linedancer Posted 4 May 2009 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 31

Thanks, it worked so nice for me, I thought others might like to take a look.

cylstrial Posted 5 May 2009 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 31

That is really cool! I think I'm going to print this out so that I can go and make one myself! Thanks for sharing!!

linedancer Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:01pm
post #7 of 31

You are welcome thumbs_up.gif

Anntee Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 31

Greetings from across the Skyway! Double high-fives for a great idea. Thanks for sharing!!!

icon_smile.gif

pinkflower1212 Posted 5 May 2009 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 31

I will be attempting to make one of these this weekend. After making cookies this past weekend, this just seems like it would be so much easier. Thanks icon_smile.gif

linedancer Posted 5 May 2009 , 4:11pm
post #10 of 31

For those of you who are considering making one of these, you should measure the counter you usually use to roll out your cookies. I left the length of mine at 24 inches because I have an island and the extra length doesn't make any difference. If you have a standard counter which is usually 23 to 24 inches deep, you might want to cut the length down to 22 inches. The width would remain at 15 3/4. Just some food for thought.

Thanks for all your nice comments

cutthecake Posted 7 May 2009 , 2:44am
post #11 of 31

Thanks for the great idea!
I made one using an extra pastry board I had and 1/4" wood strips. I got it all assembled, then discovered my rolling pin was too short! It fit between the wood strips, which defeated the whole purpose of the strips. I had a good laugh, then went to Michael's and bought the long Wilton fondant roller. Haven't used it yet. Hope I didn't miscalculate anything else.

linedancer Posted 7 May 2009 , 11:07am
post #12 of 31

cutthecake, you go girl, what a good idea to use something you already had. Bummer about the rolling pin though, as I said I always hated the wilton pin for rolling fondant, but I think you will find that it works great for this. THAT was something I already had icon_lol.gif

cutthecake Posted 16 May 2009 , 4:07am
post #13 of 31

I just used my new pastry board to roll cookies, and I love it. Thank you so much for the great idea, linedancer! All my cookies are 1/4" thick and even. And they should be easier to decorate.

linedancer Posted 16 May 2009 , 11:04am
post #14 of 31

Glad you like it. thumbs_up.gif

just_for_fun Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 1:59am
post #15 of 31

Thanks, I've been eyeing the dobord, but I cant charge for my cookies so I didnt want to spend so much $$ ( I do that already!). Now my hubby has a job! The truth is, I'm not scared of power tools. I may just try it myself!

linedancer Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:07pm
post #16 of 31

Glad I could help. You don't have to use power tools. If you go to a home improvement center to buy the board, they will cut it for you icon_smile.gif
I used 1/4" dowels on this one, but have since found 3/16" ones, which I also like. Am thinking about putting them on the other side of this board, so I could roll either thickness. Just haven't done it.

zoraya Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 12:38pm
post #17 of 31

I don't see the pictures. I'm a visual person and would like to make this. Please help... icon_biggrin.gif

linedancer Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 3:29pm
post #18 of 31

zoraya I sent you a pm with a pic.

zoraya Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:18pm
post #19 of 31

Got it, thanks! Thats brilliant what you made. Very creative!
The pictures are showing up in the thread for me now. Weird!

just_for_fun Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 4:55pm
post #20 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by linedancer

Glad I could help. You don't have to use power tools. If you go to a home improvement center to buy the board, they will cut it for you icon_smile.gif
I used 1/4" dowels on this one, but have since found 3/16" ones, which I also like. Am thinking about putting them on the other side of this board, so I could roll either thickness. Just haven't done it.

Thanks so much!

linedancer Posted 29 Apr 2010 , 5:04pm
post #21 of 31

You all are welcome. Have a happy baking day icon_biggrin.gif

Spectra Posted 2 May 2010 , 6:07pm
post #22 of 31

This is awesome! Thank you for posting this with pictures and instructions! I'm going to get my husband to make me one. I can't wait! icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 3 May 2010 , 1:30am
post #23 of 31

Great idea! Thanks for sharing! icon_smile.gif

mrsc808 Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:05am
post #24 of 31

This is fantastic! I hope you don't mind if I use your idea. My husband has a construction business so I think I will put this on his honey-do list.

BrightDelights Posted 4 May 2010 , 4:19am
post #25 of 31

Thansk for the great idea. Can't wait to make one!

linedancer Posted 4 May 2010 , 1:43pm
post #26 of 31

Please feel free to use this idea, that's what this site is all about, sharing and helping others..

Thanks again for all the kind words.

momgns Posted 12 May 2010 , 1:08am
post #27 of 31

I got two wooden slats at Home Depot 3/8 inch thick and at Home Depot they even cut it for me. I want it one foot long. They are easy to clean they were inexpensive and they don't take up any room.

Spectra Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:28pm
post #28 of 31

So glad I found this post, my husband is currently outside making me one of these for "Mother's Day". I can't wait to use it!!

Spectra Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:30pm
post #29 of 31

Oh, and where do you get the shelf liners anyway? Thanks!

linedancer Posted 16 May 2010 , 12:54pm
post #30 of 31

Usually Walmart or Meijers have it along where they have contact paper. Sometimes a little hard to find, but well worth it. Stuff just does not slide when you use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%