Help With Baby Block Cake

Decorating By leahk Updated 4 May 2009 , 5:16pm by leahk

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 2 May 2009 , 8:33pm
post #1 of 8

I would like to make a baby block cake. I am planning on making 3 blocks. The baby's name has 5 letters. If I put the bottom 2 blocks corners towards the front, with one stacked on top that gives me 5 faces. But then how do I arrange the letters? I could do first letter on top and then the 4 underneath. Or I could do 2 on bottom left block, middle letter on top and continue on the bottom right block. I tried to attach a pic, but CC won't allow me to do that right now.

Any ideas?

7 replies
niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 2 May 2009 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 8

I don't think that will look right, unless you put the 3 blocks side by side instead of one on top of the other two.

leahk Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:05am
post #3 of 8

Thanks for responding- I didn't get a notice.
I saw a cake in the galleries with 4 blocks- 3 on bottom and 1 on top (but between 2, not directly on top). I could rotate the bottom blocks to get 5 faces for the letters, but will it look unbalanced with just 1 block on the upper level?

leahk Posted 4 May 2009 , 6:14am
post #4 of 8

I bringing in links from the galleries to better explain what I'm talking about.

This is the look I was going for. Sort of an adaptation of a cake from Confetti Cakes http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1213652 but I think the middle letter of the name would look silly where the turtle is.

I could do this cake http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=41015 rotating one of the blocks to get 5 faces, but again not all the letters would be on the same level.

I really like this cake http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1349363 and could just do the name going down. BUT this will be my first stacked cake, and I need to travel an hour with it. I was planning on seeting up the bottom blocks with dowels in place, and adding the top block when I get there. Making this tower will be more complicated.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:35am
post #5 of 8

Does it have to be only 3 blocks? maybe you can do 5 blocks wih 2 on top and 3 on the bottom ?
Even if you have to make them slightly smaller!
Is it just the blocks? or do they go on top of another cake?

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 4 May 2009 , 11:52am
post #6 of 8

if you put the 2 outside blocks on an angle (with the point facing towards the front) and the center block flat, then you would get 5 surfaces. Not sure how well they'd be read, but it would be balanced.

You could try a 'mockup' using cake boxes, books, or fold paper into squares and then turn them until you like the layout.

Pitchers_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pitchers_Bakery Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 8

honestly i think if you put the first two letter on the bottom left block then the 3rd letter on the front block and the last two on the right block it will be fine. Just make sure the two outer blocks are a few spaces away from each other so they get the idea that that middle block is like an insert. Im doing a baby block cake this weekend, also the three block idea, but it will just be A, B, and C nothing crazy! Good luck!

leahk Posted 4 May 2009 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 8

I could do more than 3 blocks, but don't want to have a huge board, which is why I thought of stacking. While I'm scared to try stacking, there always has to be a first time! This cake is for a close friend, if it flops, no one will laugh, they'll just enjoy the cake!

I get how I can make 5 surfaces in a row, but did want to do some stacking for the cuteness factor. In the meantime I have fallen in love with the style of KawaiiCakeCook's cake: 3 stacked blocks with one on the side. But I still have name issues. I came up with an idea, which I attached, but my computer knowledge is too primitive to fully express the idea. The top and bottom would have the corner facing out, thereby creating 2 surfaces. The middle would be flat. That gives me 5 faces with the name spelled funny. The other idea I had was the bottom picture in the attached file. 2 stacked cakes and then 2 more cakes on the board. The first letter would be on top left, and the rest on the bottom. I like it less as an overall cake, but I think the name might be a bit better this way.

What are your thoughts?

Editted to say that I can't manage to add the doc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%