Anyone Offer Decorating Classes?

Business By janelwaters Updated 10 May 2009 , 2:37pm by pinkpiggie78

janelwaters Posted 2 May 2009 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 7

Now that I have started doing cakes a bunch of people I know want to take classes - does anyone do this? How much do you charge? Where do you start for a first class for someone who has never decorated before?

Just strying to get some ideas.... any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA! Janel

6 replies
Sweet_Guys Posted 2 May 2009 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 7

We started with Michaels taking the Wilton method classes I, II, and III...I went on and took the Fondant and Gumpaste class.

However, after working with some new friends and joining ICES, we've come to be interested in learning from some of the master sugar artists in the world.

Here's what we suggest:

1. Start with Wilton classes to get basic foundational work.
2. Buy Sharon Zambito's Sugar Shack DVD series (another great foundational piece).
3. Check abot gumpaste classes with Nicholas Lodge (he's outside of Atlanta).

There's SO much out there. However, the foundation piece should be put into action first before your freind(s) can branch out into what interests them. There is SO much out there!

Also, you have a wealth of talent yourself. Charge $30-35 for a two-hour class and teach them the basics yourself.

HTH

Paul (& Peter)

janelwaters Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 7

I just re-read my post and I guess I wasn't clear - My friends want ME to teach them, I just don't know what to teach them first or how much to charge.

I started with exactly what you suggested - I did all the wilton classes (4 total) and I just got Sharon's videos (HOLY COW!! those are AMAZING!!) and I have been DYING to take one of Nicolas Lodge's classes on gumpaste flowers - the only flowers I know how to make are callas and daisies.

$30-$35 for a two hour class sounds great - I think I will throw that out there for them. Now, I just need to decide what to teach that first 2 hours!

Sweet_Guys Posted 5 May 2009 , 8:28am
post #4 of 7

Here's a suggested course list:

1. Baking a Cake (some people like to learn scratch, don't know how to bake)
2. Crowning/Torting/Damming/Filling, Crumb Coating, Buttercreaming (could include how you make your buttercream)
3. Piped Design Work
4. Covering a Cake with Fondant
5. Stacking Cakes
6. Intro to Fondant/Gumpaste/50-50 Mix (any others like Mexican paste/pastillage)
7. Flowers, Flowers, Flowers (from here you could branch off into so many different classes)
8. Other Designs & Mediums (ropes, stamps, royal icing, chocolate)
9. Cake Board Designs
10. Stencils
11. Figurines & Other Sculptures
12. String Work

I'm a teacher by day so I was thinking of all of my cake learning experiences and how I see the flow from easiest to hardest. One thing to keep in mind: You need to demonstrate and then let them practice, practice, practice. What may take us 15 minutes to do in our own kitchens could end up being a 2-hour class due to time to demonstrate slowly, give time to practice & critique & help.

As far as the charges, you could increase it as you provide the materials and as your experience grows.

HTH

Paul

cakedout Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 7

$30-$35 for a beginner class sounds reasonable.

I have taught several different types of classes. My beginner class is 5 weeks, 2 hours each. I teach using Wilton as a base, then adding more techniques. I have 2 more levels, like Wilton, but they are much more involved.

Occasionally I teach a 2 or 3 day mini class: Buttercream Basics; Flowers!; Intro to Fondant and Gumpaste; Wedding Cakes 101.

Good luck!

350BakerStreet Posted 9 May 2009 , 2:46am
post #6 of 7

I'm interested in this myself, for future reference icon_smile.gif

pinkpiggie78 Posted 10 May 2009 , 2:37pm
post #7 of 7

I offer cake decorating "parties" for moms. They are only about an hour but can be tailored to whatever the hostess wants (my first class is in June and we are just doing some basic piping/stars/leaves etc). I charge $12 per person (with a minimum of 4 attendees) and bring all the tools.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%