Please Help! New To Portland, Or Area

Decorating By dallasgirl Updated 2 May 2009 , 8:46pm by Toptier

dallasgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dallasgirl Posted 2 May 2009 , 7:00pm
post #1 of 3

Hey bakers! I'm a 20 year old from Dallas, new to baking, and am looking for some advice....

My fiance and I are moving from Oklahoma State University in June to the Portland, OR area. Right now I'm a sophomore majoring in business and will be finishing up in the next 2-3 years (depending on whether or not credits transfer). I plan on attending a culinary institute and attaining my baking/pastry arts certificate in the fall and then going back to college. I've always loved baking cakes, pies, and sweets for friends and family but am new to using fondant and other professional techniques. Initially I was a hospitality major so I've taken some restaurant related courses and am also ServSafe certified. Although I don't have real training, I would really like to gain as much experience as possible learning about what it's like to work in and operate a bakery on a daily basis. I have an intense work ethic, the ability to stay professional and focused under stress, and always take initiative. I believe that experience is a key component of success and don't mind starting at the bottom and working my way up. Even if it means that my only job is to clean up after others, wash equipment/supplies, or take orders, I would be incredibly thankful for any opportunity that comes my way. If you have any suggestions or live in the Portland area and would be willing to take in a "newbie", please let me know.
Thank you so much for reading such a long note, have a great day!

Haley Ward

2 replies
MrsMabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMabe Posted 2 May 2009 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 3

I used to live in Portland OR. I grew up almost entirely in Oregon and lived in Portland specifically for several years. I don't really have any advice for an aspiring baker/decorator in the area, but I hope you'll like it there. Oregon is a beautiful place. Make sure you take the chance to see the coast (Florence in particular) when the weather gets nice. It's too cold to swim, but the view is unbeatable.

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 2 May 2009 , 8:46pm
post #3 of 3

HI, I'm from the Portland area.

Are you going to go to Western Culinary or Oregon Culinary or one of the community colleges? I would recommend checking out Craigslist for job openings in bakeries, Craigslist is like a religion around here and practically everything is posted there. Unfortunately our unemployment rate is second highest in the nation so job hunting is not easy here. Definitely look for hands on experience, this in my opinion is better than school for pastry!

PM me if you have any specific questions...I'll try to help if I can.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%