Please Help! New To Portland, Or Area

Business By dallasgirl Updated 5 May 2009 , 6:44pm by cakedout

dallasgirl Posted 2 May 2009 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 3

Hey bakers! I'm a 20 year old from Dallas, new to baking, and am looking for some advice....

My fiance and I are moving from Oklahoma State University in June to the Portland, OR area. Right now I'm a sophomore majoring in business and will be finishing up in the next 2-3 years (depending on whether or not credits transfer). I plan on attending a culinary institute and attaining my baking/pastry arts certificate in the fall and then going back to college. I've always loved baking cakes, pies, and sweets for friends and family but am new to using fondant and other professional techniques. Initially I was a hospitality major so I've taken some restaurant related courses and am also ServSafe certified. Although I don't have real training, I would really like to gain as much experience as possible learning about what it's like to work in and operate a bakery on a daily basis. I have an intense work ethic, the ability to stay professional and focused under stress, and always take initiative. I believe that experience is a key component of success and don't mind starting at the bottom and working my way up. Even if it means that my only job is to clean up after others, wash equipment/supplies, or take orders, I would be incredibly thankful for any opportunity that comes my way. If you have any suggestions or live in the Portland area and would be willing to take in a "newbie", please let me know.
Thank you so much for reading such a long note, have a great day!

Haley Ward

2 replies
aliciag829 Posted 4 May 2009 , 7:09am
post #2 of 3

I would suggest using the phone book and calling the different bakeries in your area and ask if they're looking for any help. Or you could even check local job websites like Craigslist. When I finished my culinary training, I had job placement assistance. Another option for you would be to see if you can get some kind of apprenticeship if you want to just work to learn, but you won't get paid. The school I went to offered 2 week apprenticeship programs as well. Sorry, I'm not in your area, or else I could help you more.

cakedout Posted 5 May 2009 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 3

Check out the ICES (International Cake Exploration Societe)website!

There is a good Northwest ICES chapter, and if you go to their website you should be able to find the State Representative. From there, the Rep should be able to steer you towards ICES members that are nearby that you could contact.

Hope you enjoy Portland! My daughter and her FI will be moving out in October after their wedding. She will be attending George Fox seminary.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%