...get Fondant Balls On Wire To Stay Put

Decorating By poohsmomma Updated 4 May 2009 , 9:49pm by deliciously_decadent

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 2 May 2009 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 25

I haven't actually tried this yet, but I want to use them on a cake next weekend-you know, sticking out of the top of the cake. It just seems to me that the fondant/gumpaste balls will slide down the wire after they dry.

There must be a trick I don't know.
Help, please. icon_confused.gif

24 replies
ExcitedNewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ExcitedNewbie Posted 2 May 2009 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 25

Poohsmomma, I want to know the same thing. I tried to make the fondant balls stay on the wire and you were right about them sliding down.

Someone PLEASE let us know how this is done. THANK YOU!!

ExcitedNewbie Posted 2 May 2009 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 25

Poohsmomma, I want to know the same thing. I tried to make the fondant balls stay on the wire and you were right about them sliding down.

Someone PLEASE let us know how this is done. THANK YOU!!

~ excitednewbie

melhoneybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melhoneybee Posted 2 May 2009 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 25

I had the same problem happen when I made something like that and, yup, sure enough, balls slid right off! I have read recently though that if you dip the wire in water first, the balls will stay on! Makes complete sense, eh? Now why didn't WE think of that!!

ExcitedNewbie Posted 2 May 2009 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 25

Thank you Acupcakenameddesire! icon_biggrin.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 2 May 2009 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 25

Depends on you wire as well. Cloth covered wires work good but don't look as pretty. You can also do a small kink in the wire and use gumpaste glue.

poohsmomma Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 25

Had to go out for a a while...so happy to see these replies when I got back.

I'll try the kinks in the wire, and wetting the wire.... maybe a little RI???

Thanks for helping me out, Acupcakenameddesire and jlynnw!
And welcome, Excited Newbie.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:48pm
post #8 of 25

be careful the RI too much and it gets gloopy and shows up in an ugly way. You can use eggwhite (powder pasturized if they might be eaten, but with them on wire they really should NOT be).

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 25

Make a small loop at the end of the wire where the ball will be, just like you'd do if you were making rose centers for gumpaste roses. icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:00am
post #10 of 25

Thanks.
I'm assuming wherever I want a ball to put a kink/loop kind of thing.

Would I be better off with gumpaste in the mixture.

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:07am
post #11 of 25

...careful if you wet the wire, it can make the fondant gummy and slide off worse, I have learned the hard way. Looping the wire worked best for me, and letting it dry overnight on its side before trying to insert the wire into cake helped me too.

poohsmomma Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:21am
post #12 of 25

thanks, sugarmomma

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:22am
post #13 of 25

I haven't tried it, but I think if you mixed the fondant with a bit of gp, it would probably help (as poohsmamma suggested).

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 3 May 2009 , 1:53am
post #14 of 25

i've made some fondant balls, you might want to make them dry faster with tylos or gum paste, i still have easter chicks that are somewhat soft. try curling the tip of your wire, you can also put floral wire around the curl and wrap it a few times to dry faster, i take a book or something heavy put the balls on the end of the wire, and on a counter slide the wire under so they hand over the side. they should stay, now if it's as big as a golf ball i'd make it out of gum paste. you can also try cutting a little piece of a pie plate like a washer or something to that effect. super glue it to the wire, make sure it's dry. put a tiny piece of saran wrap between the washer and the ball.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:00am
post #15 of 25

I made stars for a cake and what i did was when i cut them out i slide the wires on at that time then i let them dry for weeks, and they stayed put

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 3 May 2009 , 11:12am
post #16 of 25

ok i do quite alot of the cake spikes you are referring to here is an example:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1348209
make the balls from gumpaste/modelling paste so that they will set hard. there are two ways i do this, method one: when soft slightly moisten your florists wire at the end or the spot for the ball with fondant glue/cmc glue (paper covered wire) and slide the balls on and leave to dry
method 2: roll balls and leave to set, when hard get your florists wire and hol over an open flame to heat the end till hot and then insert in the ball and leave to cool, the heated wire melts the gumpaste and creates its own glue the minute it cools it sets and is ready to go, i prefer the heating mehtod but obviosly that doesn't work for balls in the middle of the wore like on the cake i have shown you icon_biggrin.gif

poohsmomma Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:10pm
post #17 of 25

Thanks, adatay, That's exactly the look I'm looking for.
BTW, love the cake!

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 3 May 2009 , 12:33pm
post #18 of 25

poohsmomma, I'll give you my 2 cents worth. I'm still a newbie but I have done it. (check my avatar).
What I did was make your balls, mix tylose and water to make a glue, paint the ball where it is to inserted. After all the balls are on the wires you can add another dob of glue to the bottom of each ball. Leave the wires with the balls on their side to dry overnight. Make sure they are good and dry and you can insert them into your cake icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Posted 3 May 2009 , 5:56pm
post #19 of 25

You're 2 cents worth is appreciated!
and BTW, my b-day is Oct. 3...hello, fellow Libra!

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:26pm
post #20 of 25

I heat the wire over a candle until it red hot, then stick it into the ball. The heat melts the sugar, its like instant glue icon_smile.gif

PS I do the same for my rose cones, no need to wait for them to dry icon_smile.gif Im not the patient kind icon_lol.gif

Kerry_Kake Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:37pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by riana

I heat the wire over a candle until it red hot, then stick it into the ball. The heat melts the sugar, its like instant glue icon_smile.gif

PS I do the same for my rose cones, no need to wait for them to dry icon_smile.gif Im not the patient kind icon_lol.gif

Wouldn't your wire turn black?

MrsCourtneyRider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsCourtneyRider Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:57am
post #22 of 25

Thanks

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 4 May 2009 , 4:49am
post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

Wouldn't your wire turn black?

The tip does go black, but that part is in the ball, so no-one sees it!

Kerry_Kake Posted 4 May 2009 , 1:07pm
post #24 of 25

Thanks riana maybe I'll try this tip if I'm in a hurry. icon_smile.gif

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 4 May 2009 , 9:49pm
post #25 of 25

yep they are the ways i described above icon_smile.gif cmc glue is the same as tylose glue icon_smile.gif and i use a lighter instead of a candle but all the same icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%