Satin Ice Rolled Fondant Question

Decorating By Nani25 Updated 3 May 2009 , 2:10am by ninatat

Nani25 Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 6

I've only used Wilton once in a class. It was really thick and fairly easy to pick up. I'm in the middle of making a cake due in 2 hrs. I bought satin ice (heard it was much better to use & taste than Wilton). Long story short it's very soft and mushy straight from the newly opened container. I'm just trying to make circle cut outs and cannot even get the circles off the counter.
HELP is this just the way satin ice is or what am I doing wrong?

5 replies
shaymomx5 Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 6

I just took a class and the lady said you can't knead it too much. I don't recommend using powdered sugar, but instead use shortening. Grease your roll mat or counter with the shortening. The instructor even suggested putting some shortening into the fondant as well.

Hope that helps.

shelbur10 Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 6

You could also dust your surface with a little corn starch

ptanyer Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 6

Do you have any Wilton fondant on hand? You mix some Wilton in with the SI and it will give you more control over the fondant and allow you to do what you need to do. HTH!

sonia57 Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 6

I never had a problem with Satin Ice. I agree with shelbur10, use cornstarch to prevent sticking. Maybe, it's also the weather.. high humidity can make the fondant softer and stickier.

ninatat Posted 3 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #6 of 6

hi all what is royal icing, is it the same as making butter cream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%