Quick Fondant Question

Decorating By newathis Updated 4 May 2009 , 2:49pm by brincess_b

newathis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newathis Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, i am making my daughter's first birthday cake in june, but since it's a huge party and i have to make food too, i was thinking of making the cake a week before and freezing it.................can you freeze cakes that are covered in fondant?? I will be using the satin ice........i've never had to do this, so i was wondering if it would turn out ok........or does it bleed and condense too much?? Any help would be great !

thanks

4 replies
shaymomx5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaymomx5 Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 5

I think that you can make it probably at most 3 days in advance. It is not recommended to freeze or refrigerate fondant in a home refrigerator due to the condensation and controls. The reason that you see them in cooling cases in the store is because they are commercial and have the proper settings. Just store it at room temperature and keep it covered from the elements (but not in an airtight sealed fashion).

newathis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newathis Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 5

Darn........i do believe i won't have time to do it then !?!? We are looking at 100pp for this party, and there is no way i could devote a day so close to the party to do a cake.........i wish fondant could freeze !?!?

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 5

Could you just do it in BC and place it in the fridge? Then give it a good long time to come to room temperature before you cut into it? Maybe not a week before, but 4 days..might give you an extra day.

If I am wrong and this wont work, someone please correct me! I have put my cakes in the fridge before to make the last longer and I havent had any problems.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 May 2009 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 5

a fondant covered cake lasts pretty well on your counter, as long as your recipes dont need to be in the fridge. ive had one as good as new when it was cut into after 5 days. and it lasted ages after that.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%