Diet Cake, Ideas Anyone?

Decorating By lomfise Updated 3 May 2009 , 7:42pm by BeeBoos-8599_

lomfise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomfise Posted 2 May 2009 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 8

It's Mother's Day on Sunday and I have the perfect idea for a cake for my mother, but she's on a diet and I now her smile will be a little strained if I turn up with the usual cake covered in buttercream.

So I was wondering if any of you have a recipe for a diet/light cake you'd be willing to share? I was thinking something lemony for the cake and perhaps a light cream cheese/lemoncurd for the filling, but other alternatives are welcome. icon_rolleyes.gif

7 replies
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 8

maybe you could decorate something that isn't cake, like a fruit and yogurt parfait with GP flowers. put it in a pretty footed parfait dish with a bow tied around it.

instead of frosting you could use light cool whip which is low sugar and low fat.

good luck

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 8

you could do a traditional victoria sponge, ther is only jam and cream (or bc) in the middle, the top dusted with icing sugar. http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/victoriaspongewithst_90309.shtml any you could do a pretty flower arrangement of something to pretty it up.

or just drizzle glace icing over the top, zig zag style, often seen on carrot cakes, but it would work on anything, and you could do multi coloured drizzles.

there are a lot of low fat/ reduced sugar cakes about, i cant think that i have tried any though...
xx

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 2 May 2009 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 8

I agree sponge cake is very light and pretty harmless for someone dieting.

Another idea..when i was doing weight watchers there was a recipe that everyone went on and on about. You use a standard cake mix and add just one can of DIET pop. No eggs, oil or anything else. Bake as usual...but watch it carefully as it cooks faster than a regular cake. Top with ultra light cool whip. Yummy.
Many said they tried variations on pop to get different flavors..like mountain dew, root beer, or crush..diet of course.
OR this one was popular too..

http://www.dwlz.com/Member%20Recipes/pineappleafcake.html It's a variation of an angel food cake.

There are sooo many great recipes on dotti's weightloss zone too. It's all based on WW, so low calorie, high fiber etc..

HTH

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 8

I really like the diet coke cake (and it's variations). It's really soft, though. But yummy and moist.

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 3 May 2009 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 8

I posted this lemon angel cake in the recipes section awhile back. So light and delicious! Give it a try. It's a great party cake and always gets raves. As the recipe states, you can use non-fat Cool Whip and non fat yogurt to make it even lighter. Good luck and happy mother's day!

www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-607123.html

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 3 May 2009 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 8

So sorry....that was the wrong link. Let me try this again. icon_redface.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6844-1-Light-As-Air-Lemon-Angel-Cake.html

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:42pm
post #8 of 8

What about an angle food cake split and layered with berries and light wihipped topping. Then covered on more berries and gum paste flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%