Question About Decorating On Pastry Pride

Decorating By mareg Updated 13 Jul 2014 , 6:22am by veronicap25

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 2 May 2009 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 14

I have a small 8" round baby shower cake I'm doing today and they want it covered with Pastry Pride. What is better to do the writing/decorating with BC or RI? I have already made stars to put on the bottom for a border in RI, but I was wondering if the PP would ruin writing on the cake if I do it in RI.

Thanks bunches!

13 replies
mareg Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 14

anybody?

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 14

I have never used RI only BC. I wonder, if RI breaks down with fat(ie egg yolk or grease in bowl) will it break down due to the fact PP has fasts in it? I would err on the side of caution and use BC or piping jel if you have either.HTH

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 14

Why not do the writing with some tinted pastry pride as well? I believe it pipes pretty well. If you don't want to use the pastry pride, I would use buttercream. I have never combined royal and bettercreme/frosting pride but I would be afraid that it would break down the royal. Someone more experienced should comment on that.

mareg Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 14

They want the writing in dark brown. Pink and brown are the colors. icon_sad.gif I can't tint pastry pride that dark. I've tried on my monkey cake and it ruined it.

jlynnw Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 14

use chocolate.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 14

Writing with pastry pride isn't the best. I have added piping gel before and that does help, but it still breaks down from the heat of your hands-I even wrapped a very cool wash cloth around the bag while using. BC works great, melted chocolate is good also, and so is piping gel tinted the color you want.

chefbetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbetty Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 14

What is Pastry Pride?

Betty icon_redface.gif

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:18pm
post #9 of 14

Chocolate? That is a fantastic idea! I knew some people with a little more experience could give you some good advice! I will keep that in mind next time I use bettercreme.

Pastry Pride/Bettercreme is a shelf stable whipped frosting. If you have ever had the whipped frosting from Sam's or Wal-Mart, it is the same (like whipped cream). It can sit out for like three days. It doesn't smooth like buttercream. It has a light texture.

jlynnw Posted 2 May 2009 , 5:48pm
post #10 of 14

It can get perfectly smooth just like BC. It is all how you use it. I like using it for a variety of cakes in the spring and summer months. It is light and cream. It is not good for air brushing so much as it does bleed and distort the colors a bit.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 2 May 2009 , 6:40pm
post #11 of 14

yes it does smooth very nicely like BC as jlynnw says. I pretty much use Pastry Pride exclusively, friends and family love it.

Another thing I've done is use RI to make your letters, let them harden and place them on the cake. I use a program to print out what I want then trace over them with the RI, they dry overnight or longer and place them on the cake not long before delivery. The moisture in the icing will make the letters soft and if they are not 100% dry they will run or even slide down the sides if that is where you put them.

chefbetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbetty Posted 2 May 2009 , 9:23pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks for the clairfication. thumbs_up.gif

Betty

mareg Posted 3 May 2009 , 7:45pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks for the help. I'm going to use brown bc.

veronicap25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronicap25 Posted 13 Jul 2014 , 6:22am
post #14 of 14

How do you get your Pastry Pride so smooth? I always have issues with this this :(

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%