Less-Sweet Buttercream?

Decorating By tha0vy Updated 2 May 2009 , 4:03pm by mellee

tha0vy Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:06am
post #1 of 5

Hello, I'm not sure if a thread like this has been posted yet but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to make buttercream not so sweet??

I've tried using salted butter to cut the sweetness, but it's still too sweet! I like that buttercream allows us to decorate beautifully, but I want to be able to eat the decorations without a whole cup of milk for every bite!

Thank you in advance icon_smile.gif

4 replies
KrissieCakes Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:13am
post #2 of 5

Have you tried a meringue buttercream? SMBC or IMBC?

aliciag829 Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:16am
post #3 of 5

Using a small amount popcorn salt dissolved in liquid in the Wilton BC recipe works pretty well for me.

Suewillo Posted 2 May 2009 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 5

Extra Special Buttercream Icing Recipe you can find it on here. If you have problems finding it just send me a pm and I will email the recipe to you. It's not overly sweet and it taste good.

mellee Posted 2 May 2009 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 5

Try a mock whipped cream recipe.

1/4 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp butter flavor
1/4 tsp almond extract

Blend milk and flour together in a blender for a minute or so or less. (This is a very important step!) Cook milk and flour over medium high heat, stirring constantly, until very thick. Remove from heat and put in a bowl. If there are any hard pieces on the spoon or in the bottom of the pan, discard them. You want a smooth mixture in the bowl. Cover the mixture with plastic wrap pressed right down to it and up the sides of the bowl so air can't get at it and form a "skin." Cool to room temperature (must be cool!). Cream the sugar and shortening with the flavors for a couple of minutes or so on 4 or so, scraping down a couple of times. Add the "custard" into the mixer and stir for a bit. Then mix on high. Keep blending on high, stopping periodically to scrape off the paddle and scrape down the bowl. Continue to mix until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is light and fluffy. Excellent frosting, light and only somewhat sweet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%